Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much power can the AX-15 handle? I have an '89 305 TBI from a Firebird. Can the ax-15 hanld it? the 305 should have maybe 10% more power and 20% more torque than a H.O. 4.0L. Should I just look for a 5 speed with transfer case out of a fullsize chevy to bolt on to it? what should I look for? My jeep is for daily driving and weekend hunting trips.
Tas
'89 YJ, 4.2L, 5 speed, 2chamber-flowmaster, Euro taillights...

G

·
Yes it will work.

I've been using an AX-15 w/ a Chevy 350/33" tires/3.73 r&p for a few years now in my YJ. I've stomped the petal hard in more than many situations and no signs of damage. One thing to consider though is the lower your r&p gears are, the less stress the engine will exert on the tranny (ie: 3.08 will be harsher on the tranny than 4.10 because it's a little harder to get the tires turning w/ higher gears).

And if it's just a daily driver w/ occasional offroad trips (as is mine), I'd say go for it.

-Dorian
88 YJ w/ stock floormats

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Y'all have guts! I heard so much stuff about the ax15 not able to hold up to hp..... I got scared and got rid of mine when I put
my chevy in. Now have a TH350 with an adv adapt kit linking it to the np231. Runs stong, but hey, if the ax15 works. I really
just wanted an auto, better for towing toys (boats, 4wheelers, ...)

Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp, 3" body, 33's, 283 Chevy V8, TH350, 4.11's, D30, D35c

G

·
might be the best time to bite the bullet.
Only have to buy one adaptor for trans to tranfercase.
Just a thought.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.