Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide which kit to purchase. I have heard that RE uses National springs on their extreme duty kit but I have no proof. I have been told by a off road shop here in Colorado that BDI makes a nice kit? Can anyone give me some advice on either kit? Price really doesn't matter but I really don't want a spring over, spring conversion or Old Man Emu. Trying to keep the price to something the wife can handle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am installing a RE exterme duty kit in about half an hour. I will let you know how it turns out. From what I could find out, this kit does use national springs. They are just the off the shelf ones though. If you get them to make custom ones they will cost you $1000 for 4. I will post tomorrow to tell you how it rides.

Aaron.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The next time I do springs it will be from National. I have Dick Cepek which I believe are made by Tough Country. If you go back about 3-4 months you will find a bunch of threads on the subject. Bottom line, if you want a good lift but a ride that will not damage your liver...go with national. Also, avoid cheap shocks...and you don't need more than 1. Dual shocks may look bitch'en but the ride is about as good as have 2x4's in place of the shocks. Ask any wife or girlfriend of a jeeper.

Next week I am putting RS-9000's on and setting them to 1.

FYI...When you call National, they will ask you to weigh the front and rear of your jeep. That is how they know to get the springs right...so be prepared to find a truck scale that you can use.

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dont rule out Old Man Emu !!! Yes its expensive, but no other lift kit can come close to the ride quality or articulation of the OME! Just dont expect more than 2 1/2" of lift from it. On a YJ with an OME lift, 31's are a perfect match. I also have swaybar disconnects with the OME lift and I can still push the 31's up to the fender! My Jeep also rides better than it did when stock and handles like a sports car. My CD player was useless before the OME, now it doesnt skip a beat. I am thinking of going with a 1" body lift and some 33's. You will forget about the extra money you spent on the OME lift kit, but you will always remember the cheap, harsh riding lift kit that you "saved a few bucks" on. I researched the OME and other lift kits for a year, and the best (and cheapest) place I found it at was within an hours drive from my house! They are in NJ but do a lot of mail-order too. OK Fourwheel Drive is the name. If you are interested, I can dig up there web site addy. Let me know.
Good Luck........Herbie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess it all depends on what size tire you want to run...I myself went with OME and a SOA and they work awesome together!
If you want a lift that would be the cheapest, go with a SOA. You will get a nice lift and won't cost you a dime. You can use your old springs and you will get at least 5 1/2" lift which will fit 33's with no problem on the trail...
My2

Rob
yellowfordyJ
SOA/OME,FS 9"/rev.44,np435/np205,Detroits/4:56's,35's,OBA/York.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whoa! How can you say a spring-over won't cost you a dime. With that much lift you surely will have to deal with driveline angles, steering geometry, longer brake lines, longer shocks, etc.

· Registered
411 Posts
Where in NJ is this place? Could you find some kind of web addy or phone number? that would be great. How much did your OME kit cost from them?

Sean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.