Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 2 jeeps and want to build one up and sell the other, one is a 360 and the other one is a 258, the 360 could use a rebuild and i found a 4.0 cheaper than a rebuild, and i do like the fuel injection, going to a 4.0 i would possibly stroke the motor to a 4.5, i am going over a wide variety of terrain, i will have a d44, and possible a the stock dana 30???? for now anyways if i go with the 4.0 i will take the 258 and use that jeep, and both jeeps have bodies that need to be replaced and i just bought a wrangler tub so the bodies are not a concern. Any suggestions!!!
Thanks
Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well this is just my oppion but if you want reliability go with the 4.0. If you want power go with the 360. I'm not saying that the 360 can't be reliable but I am guessing the 4.0 is a 90's model so.....I guess that speaks for itself. I just rode in a CJ7 today. It had a 360 bolted to a T176 and it would scream, I've been in many camaros and mustangs that weren't this quick. Of course it was only on 31 in. tires. Just my thoughts :)

Big 78 CJ5, 95 Chevy 2500 ext. cab

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're planning to spin 36" Swampers in deep mud, the 360 is your motor (with a 390 or 401 being better yet), but an injected 4.0 (especially if it's stroked) will probably be a nicer overall engine - especially on steep trails. And a stock 360 won't do much for street performance compared to a 4.0. It's main advantage over a 4.0 is being able to maintain tire speed in deep stuff. I'd pick either over a carbed 258 though. Just personal preference.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Use the 4.0 if you are keeping it light or are going to use lower gears than stock. The 360 2brl has much more low end and will be more driveable on the highway with 3.31s or 3.54 gears and 33"s and/or a heavy CJ. The 4.0s don't seem to have as much low RPM grunt as the 360s do. If geared properly, the 4.0 will get better mileage, lightly loaded or in low range, than the V8 will. Most stock weight YJs or CJs with 4.0s get around 16mpg ave., the 360 will get around 12-13Mpg. Just my experience!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys for the help!
hey tex what exactly did u mean when u said that the 4.0 would have have better performance on the street please explain?
Andy

· Registered
258 Posts
84CJ7... I'm having a hard time reading your posts man. They're like one sentence all the way through. Try using some periods or something. This is just a suggestion. I don't want this to come across the wrong way! =) later

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sorry about that i am always in a rush. I am usually out the door after I make a post! so From now on i will clean them up! sorry for the confusion!
later
Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By "street performance", I meant that the 360 wouldn't provide exceptional acceleration in stock form, nor would it give you much in the way of fuel mileage. I'm thinking in reference to my old stock 304 (which has a similar torque curve to a stock 360, just with lower power across the band). On the street, I had a really hard time keeping up with my friend's 2.9 V-6 Ranger. And he got way better fuel mileage. But, even though he could run away from me ON the road (both running 31's), he couldn't keep the tires spinning in the deep stuff the way my 304 did. Low-RPM engines (like a stock 360) don't accelerate well on pavement (a 4.0 would probably be no better, but also probably no worse), but is that even a concern? Maybe, maybe not. Just depends on your needs.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.