Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found someone that can regrind my cam for $80AUS the other day. So, now I think it's time I pull it out.

Never done this before. Is it a tricky even or pretty straight forward? Does the whole head nead to come off? tricks, tips, how to's would be great.

'85 SuziSkip
Slowly building a beast.
"If it's too hard or you're a pussy, give me a go at it"
http://www.newflavour.com

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey 7979skippy:

I was going to post the same thing today. I want to put a low-end cam in, but just finished a rebuild in April (should've done it then, I know) and need to know if there is ANY way to do it without removing the head.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I remember correctly,you need to pull the radiater and the cam will slide out farward.I have a manuel but I haven't looked at it in a while. Dennis

87 JX weber,header & 2" exhaust,Camo paint, removable doors.soon to have custom 2"lift

·
Registered
518 Posts
The camshaft is removed from the backside of the head. Remove the distributor, and the cam is accessed through the opening. Each of the cam bearings gets progressivly smaller across the head allowing for removal out the rear(the cam bearings do not need to be removed). The timing belt pully has to be removed and all the valve lash adjusting screws must all be loosened. Consult the manual for the details. The head will have to be removed if the engine is in the car.

"Reality goes on without me!"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help, the engine will be out of my rig (as it's new and I'm painting my rig as well).

WVN8V...dude if you want a low end torquer cam try these settings. Unless you have better ones. :) (if you do please share)
Duration: 266deg, 229deg (0.50)
Lift: .330
Lash: (cold).008 (hot) .010

Does anyone have cam specs for a POWER cam?
Duration: 270deg, 230deg (0.050)
Lift: .414
Lash: (cold).008 (hot) .010
(this one needs a heavy duty vavle spring kit installed) speaking of which, anyone know where I could get on in Australia? *laugh*

'85 SuziSkip
Slowly building a beast.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey you! That's the grind i had on the Vitara!! Works a treat but beware you lose a little bottom end, but you get a way fatter mid range, extractors will compensate for the loss anyway, valve springs why not check out somthing out of a 308 or 351 they look similar and may do the trick, the place doing your regrind should be able to reccomend somthing anyway, especially if they do drag stuff.

97 Subaru Forester RX Limited AWD (Bone Stock)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks buddy,

I've emailed redlands engines and bryant engineering here in brisbane. They are pretty reputable and will do the whole engine for me. just waiting on a price. So I guess they will be able to install the valve springs when they do the engine. They get most of their gear from TCL and I know they have the springs. I have been researching it all night long.

:) bring the suby up for a thrash around fraser!

'85 SuziSkip
Slowly building a beast.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.