Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 88 v-6 hardbody 4x4 with headers and exhaust. I was wondering if anyone has tried the cams from Automotive Customizers or anywhere else. I'm real interested in making more power, but i don't know if a new cam is the way to go.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know, I'll have a lot of yappin' at me for saying this, but personally I find it more logical to swap in a V-8 if I'm going to spend the money on Cams. The performance gains I've seen don't really justify the cost of dropping in cam's compared to a V-8 which pending on your connections etc, isn't much more???
But like I said, THAT"S MY OPINION!

Chris J.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifIt's not the Biggest, but at least I use it!/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with Chris - to a point. A V-8 swap is going to be BIG money compared to a cam, but I don't think that cam is work it for what they cost. Just like the ECU's for the newer models. Nothing wrong with them, but they are not cost effective enough for me. If you do go with a cam, make sure you pick one that will benefit the type of driving you do. Cam's aren't a magical HP/torque generator, they just simply move it around. This can also affect your idle and general drivablity. If your serious, do plenty of research.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For example, one of the cam sets for the 3.0 only generates a max output of 8 more horses. I dont see this as worth it at all. You are well on your way with headers and exhaust. Try upgrading your intake, and or ignition. I hear great things about jacobs, and you cant possibly going wrong with K&N. Hope this helps

Happy Trails
Wade Colvard
[email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts