Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
Don't some high performance engines use a Teflon button on the inside of the timing cover to prevent
this problem?

· Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
You said you changed the timing chain, but did you change the timing gear/sprocket on the cam? Just
a little warp from using a screwdriver to pull out the cam could cause this. Maybe? Just another
thought. I know you're frustrated.

· Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
jeepfreak1

I could be real screwed up here, it's been a while since I looked down some lifter bores, but... I was
thinking that the lifter bores did not line up with the cam lobes in order to to turn the lifter slightly each
time the lobe comes up. If the bore is loose, could the lifter cock enough to push the cam forward? If
the bore is tight, would the lobe want to follow the curvature of the lifter? I'm just a shadetree mechanic
and I may be grasping at straws here! To recap the problem as I think I understand it, lifters in - cam
walks, lifters out - cam doesn't walk. Two cams and two sets of lifters exhibited the same problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.