Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok it is a 75 CJ5 304 and this problem is driving me nuts. First the dist gear was eaten up. Now this was from the cam walking. I have it all striped down and I put another cam in with different lifters and new timeing chain, and it is still walking. What could be the problem of this? Bearings or is it the lifters.
Oh yea when I take all the rockers off so there is no pressure on the cam, the cam doesnt walk. but when I put one or two back on it walks.
I have been trying to figure this out and I am kinda stumped right now.

Thanks

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CJDave

Well here is the thing. There is NO oil pressure when I turn the motor over. I have it torn down to just heads, block, crank, and cam.
THERE IS NO OIL PRESSURE AT ALL (NO OIL), it does not run, I am just cranking the engine over and it is still walking.

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the other thing is...if i pull all the push rods out (and spark plugs)
with no pressure on the cam. It will not walk....SO I think it would be the lifter......I am not sure though, trying to get some opinions on that part of it.

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But if the Dist gear and oil pump hold it in place. Why did it shread the Dist gear then? Something other that the Dist and oil pump "pushed" the cam out to eat the gear? It is a new timing chain and gears. And NEW Dist (whole thing).

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks for all the info. I am going to check the endplay in the crank first. Then if there still exitst a problem i will try a new set of lifter. ( so i know they are perferct) and see what happens. I will keep you posted on what happens!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.