Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you install Cam bearing with out pulling the Engine OR the Crank?
I could use new ones and I have never done Cam bearing before. I have done the rest but the Cam is New to me.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Not sure what engine you have. But usually the crankshaft can be left in the engine. I'd say usually cam bearings CAN NOT be done in the vehicle. Most cam bearing tools are quite long. I'm not sure what year your Jeep is. It could be possible to remove the entire front grill radiator assembly and associated parts to gain enough clearance for a camshaft tool. I've replaced several camshafts, it is quite rare that the camshaft bearings will need to be replaced, provided that the engine has had regular oil changes.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif You have to knock the last cam bearing out through the back of the block, so at the least you will have to remove the clutch and maybe the bellhousing or plate. It is real unusual to have to do this in place. I guess I could ask: "How do you know you need new cam bearings?/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

G

·
Ahhhh those wonderful cam bearings...Yes you have to knock rear bearing out thru back,which means a new hole pug installed thru
the back after new bearings are in.Cam bearings are a tight fit,full circle bearing.some motors has to have the cam bearing oil feed holes indexed to mate
to oil feed holes in block,some are different sizes getting larger with each bearing as you work from back to front.If you cock a bearing
in its bore just a little it will screw it up if it is continued in this way,They can be hard to start straight anyway,or even see what you are doing
with engine out and crank removed.I would think very hard with engine in vehicle.I have put in many but never tried to do any with
motor still installed.Plus you need proper cam bearing driver tools to do it.I did a 258 long time ago but now i cant remember if they
are different sizes or have oil holes to line up in that motor.Someone else may be able to help you there.But again,i usually only
replace those when motor is out,block empty and a new cam is going in.If you do strip engine to bare block,check with a machine shop
that works on engines,i think they might be able to knock those in quicker and cheaper than buying the tools to do it yourself.Wont hurt
to check.And heck,if you are that far anyway,might as well have block hot tanked cleaned as well.(before new bearings)

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Just because the cam is walking does not mean the bearnings are needing replacement. A cam button will prevent the cam from walking. Wow, I really wish I knew what the heck kind of engine we were talking about. Jeeps can have lots of different kinds of engines, AMC, GM, or Jeep 4, 6, or 8 cylinder. It really makes a difference. Help us out, let us know which engine it is! Then we can help you out!

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif There actually isn't any specific item that controls camshaft end thrust on a 304, other than the snugness of the chain drive. Perhaps this is a good time to inspect the chain and see if it needs replacing, and at the same time, drill the front cover for the exclusive, Partsmike Distributor Gear Oiler./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.