Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vikinggg I Dirtdog said that you were the one to talk to in order to get info on makeing new body mounts. The mounts that go on the frame itself. Umm any information that you could give me on makeing new body mounts would be greatly appreciated... Thanks

Kyle

If you can't break it, Try Harder/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
79 CJ-7/304/T-150 I think/Dana20/No tires(yet)/rust/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Is all the steel on the mounts bad or just the top spot where the old body bushing sat ?

Jeff

Summer is just around the corner /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
238 Posts
If its just the top of the mount, I bought some steel the same thickness and width, had a local tractor repair shop drill the plate for the bushing (2 1/4"?). I then welded the plate to the top of the mount. My tub was off so this was easy welding. If your tub is still on, you might want a pro to do the welding unless you are very good at it. If you add a plate to one mount, you should add an equal amount to all the mounts.

Karl
80 CJ/YJ-7 FrankenJeep
94 Grand Cherokee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jeff,
I'm not to sure right off hand how the rest of the mount is but i do know that at lest 2 of the mounts have a crack coming from he hole the body bolt goes through. What are you thinking?
Thanks
Kyle

If you can't break it, Try Harder/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
79 CJ-7/304/T-150 I think/Dana20/No tires(yet)/rust/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this is what most of my body mounts looked like.i made new plates to go on top off the old ones.see pic.i cut out the rust and then welded the new pieces on and then painted with 4 coats of hammerite.

'78 cj-5 black JEEP squadron

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Kyle

Depending on the severity , a lot of them are just worn where the bushing sat , and obtaining large thick fender washers and welding them is ok . Of course prep and paint as required . I like vikinggg`s idea , kind of rebuilds the whole top piece . I know those mounts all to well and I would lean in the direction of what vikinggg has done .

Also check the diameter of the bushing holes (if possible) Kyle . Your sig says you have a 79 , the early 79 frames had 1 inch bushing holes EXCEPT the hole by the firewall , it was smaller than the others . The later 79`s and 80-86 frames have 1 1/4 " bushing holes (all).
You need to know this if you order a bushing kit . I would get the Daystar 1 inch , thats what I got and it is great , very classy and not to over done . Let me know if you need any more info .

Jeff

Summer is just around the corner /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.