Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was winching some trees and the cable was wearing a little thin 3 feet from the hook. Well it snapped after a while . I was wondering if any one knows how to weave cable? I probably could crimp it back together. But I know a weave is stronger.Crosby clamps are really out of the question.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Are you talking about an eye splice? It's easy in rope, but I've never tried it with a cable. Take mighty tough fingers, even for a little 5/16" cable.

The professional shops make an eye with a crimp sleeve. They separate the bundles of the cable into two equal bunches. The bunches are then wrapped around each other forming an eye with the ends of the bundles at the place where they originally parted. The sleeve is then pulled up to that spot and crimped.

The sleeve is round, instead of oval like the more common crimp sleeve. The crimper is a hydraulic device that crimpes in from four directions at once. It's a pretty fancy piece of gear.

If you want to experiment, get a twisted polyester rope and teach yourself to splice it. The process is in Scout manuals and sailing books. Once you've got that down, try it with steel cable.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You may just want to splurge on a new cable, while you CAN do a splice on the braided cable, that splice will forever be a weak link.

http://4x4connection.com/tech/winchaccessories.htm

These guys sell cable repair clips that can be used in a cinch, but I personally would cut the cable short, discard the broken three feet, and use it to secure a recovery thimble on the other end.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Weaving an 'eye' or splice in steel cable is just about a lost art. I does takes some patience, skill and a marlin spike. I haven't seen one done in 25 or more years. I'm not sure where to look for some instructions. I checked some of my old linemans hand books but no luck. Maybe a rigging or crane operators handbook? Or maybe something from the Navy?
But I don't think it's worth the effort in time or dollars. Just get a new eye pressed on. Any wire rope shop can do it. The new pressed collars are very strong, I've never seen one fail. Cable failures are usually like yours, a few feet from the end. There is a tool called a "cable saver", fits on your shackle. A pain to use but it works.

Good Luck

·
Registered
661 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Weaving an 'eye' or splice in steel cable is just about a lost art. I does takes some patience, skill and a marlin spike. I haven't seen one done in 25 or more years. I'm not sure where to look for some instructions. I checked some of my old linemans hand books but no luck. Maybe a rigging or crane operators handbook? Or maybe something from the Navy?
But I don't think it's worth the effort in time or dollars. Just get a new eye pressed on. Any wire rope shop can do it. The new pressed collars are very strong, I've never seen one fail. Cable failures are usually like yours, a few feet from the end. There is a tool called a "cable saver", fits on your shackle. A pain to use but it works.

Good Luck

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW havent heard about that in 30 years ,,, New an old man that could weave 3/4 cable with loops on the ends for hanging red iron back in my younger dumber years ,,, Wish Id have paid more attention to how he did it ,, It was a ART ,,, Hes long gone & it went with him,,, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did a couple, with a homemade marlin hook.(a screw driver about the same diameter and a slight arc put in it). A couple par of needle nose pliers and some duct tape to keep the smaller ends from fraying. The first one looked really nasty , but the last one not so bad. A crimp would have ben quicker.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
That's terrific! Practice a little and you'll definitely have braggin' rights, and something to show off to the grandkids.

A crimp might be quicker, but you can't do it on the trail. Of course, you can always carry a few Crosby clamps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Post some pictures of the rsesults!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts