Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5 minutes after shutting down my 92 KC 4x4 (KA24E) I hear this loud buzz from the back of the truck. Maybe somewhere around the fuel tank? ANY CLUES? Is it going to be a problem that rears it's ugly head 25 miles from civilization? Any help is always appreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does it sound like it might be your fuel-pump?

Chris J.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifIt's not the Biggest, but at least I use it!/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could be but the thing that confuses me is it will make this sound with the ingnition off and the keys in my pocket. Is the fuel pump hot continuously?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have never noticed it on mine, the only thing I have that make's a buzzing sound is the electric motor that still runs, where my power antenna used to be??? I can't think of anything else in the rear end that would do that, did you run over a bee's nest recently???
Sorry! The only thing I can think of is the fuel-pump?

Chris J.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifIt's not the Biggest, but at least I use it!/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
The only two things back there are the fuel pump and the ABS actautor assembly, shut the truck off and get underneath the gas tank, see if the noise is coming from the gas tank (fuel pump) or near the frame in front of gas tank (abs assbly). This might help, I also have a 92 KC 4X4

/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gifStraight outta Oregon, land of trees,ocean breeze, and a lotta mud!/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems to be coming fom the gas tank and lasts about 10 seconds...is this sign it's going bad or does it depressurize after being turned off?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My '93 P-U does it too. But only for a short time. Yea, does this mean trouble?
Thanks, Rich

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It has to be your Fuel-pump is getting tired, so it's taking more time to fill the fuel rail with the fuel pressure for your next start-up. Normally it shouldn't give you any warning, but you may be getting lucky, beside your truck is a 92 right so I would have to think the pump is tired, so you may want to take it into your local dealer and have it checked out, because if it is and it goes remember with your year of KC the pump is inside the tank, which can be costly???

Chris J.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It sounds to me like your gas tank is simply venting gas fumes through your pressurized gas filler cap. My 93 King Cab does the same thing very frequently. You only hear it after the truck is shut down and keys in your pocket because you can't hear it venting when the vehicle is running. If you are patient enough you can hear the same noise in mid morning as outside ambient temp rises. (this can happen without even starting the vehicle that day). hope this puts your mind at ease...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Yogi,
I'll sign on to the venting theory also... I've heard this on both my trucks... Guess the fuel tank is nearly sealed to prevent vapors from escaping so there is a bit of sound as the pressures equalize...
The cap seems held by a bit of negative force when I unscrew it right after stoping and I don't feel this if I've been shut down for a bit...
More Rain = More Mud, Welcome to the Oregon Coast...
Roy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had to work this weekend so I'm late checking posts. I appreciate the info. I'm gonna buy into the venting theory. A..because it requires no maintenance. B...because I heard it after my truck sat 12 hours and a front came in making the temp drop 40 degrees in 3 hours. Thanks for the help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I never said it was going out, I said it may be getting a little tired, and with talking to some Nissan mechanics and parts guy's about this before I posted, they seemed to all agree this could be the problem?
Doing an engine analysis over the email, seems to be a bit hard for me I don't know about yourself however, But I'd like to think I gave our friend the option of checking it out, rather than relying on word of mouth and having the poor guy dead on the trail???
But I guess that's just me!

Chris J.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No you are correct, but if his fuel pump was going out he should be having some drivability issues as well (he didn't mention any). If he really is concerened, then he should hook up a meter to his fuel lines and check his flow rate. Having options is always better than having none, but unless something else indicates a "tired" fuel pump then I think he's safe.
Just my opinion of course.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree, it's just that I was talking with some friends who work with Nissan and I was trying to explain the problem and also helping to find the solution. They nor myself could think of any other reason for the noise in the area he was describing. Hey! I hope your right and it save's him the time, money and brain-pain.
It's got me stumped!

Chris J.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have to agree with Eric. My 95 has been doing the same thing since I bought it new. I have logged about 68K mi. and no ill effects. It makes this noise at some very strange times also. So I would have to agree with the venting theory.

sb

1 - 16 of 16 Posts