Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all you experienced Jeep Owners,
I looked at and test drove my first Jeep last night. My palms were sweaty my pulse was going crazy and I felt little boy getting a toy he'd always dreamed of. It was a 1980 CJ-7. Powered by a 304 with a 4 spd. I can hardly think rationally about it and I was up half the night thinking about it. Since I am new to Jeeps, I need to know what problem areas to look for and what the thing is worth. I'd be driving it every day. It is stock, but it originally had a 3 spd manual instead of the 4. The body is pretty good a little rust under the doors. The motor was rebuilt at 78K, and it now has 97k on it. The tranny was put in at about the same time. Axles have been replaced in front or rear, I don't remember which. The rear main seal was replaced also. He is asking 3200, I'm thinking of offering 2500. What does anyone think about this whole thing. Jeeps always seemed to impractical to make sense, but after driving it nothing else seems to compare!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
GET IT!!!! I would probably even pay 3200 for it..What trans is it? Are the axles just stock replacements? As a Jeep owner...once you buy one nothing else compares!!! Sounds like a good deal to me.

absolutjeep
http://members.tripod.com/iluvjeeps

One more thing.....check the frame for excessive rust.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I would have to agree with absolutjeep. You have already waited too long. Around here that would go for $4K easy. I would probably make sure the person who did the rebuild is reputable. Also take a look at the undercarrage to see if it has been really abused (or wrecked). CJs have rust...its that simple. As for driving enjoyment, wait till you spend a summer with no top on!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the 4 speed is a T18 you really got it made. I run a 304 T18 and love it. If it is as good as it sounds I could buy it for $3200 and sell it for $5000 here in Northern NJ. GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
Be aware that owning a Jeep can be very expensive. This is caused by an unknown virus and there is
no known cure. Exposure to the virus is suspected to be through long contact with auto part and
accessory catalogs. It has also been known to be contagious among humans gathering at trail events.
It is not usually fatal as long as one does not get overconfident.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd have to agree with everyone else so far. I have a 66 CJ-5, and don't know how or why I waited so long to get one! There is nothing like driving a JEEP, especially during the warmer months with the top off. Granted, here in Washington there's never really any warmer months, so I suffer with a litle drizzle coming in and still can't get enough. Remember to check the fluids, see if there has been regular maintenance done, and see that the tires are at least decent for now, you don't want to have to put more on right away...wait to see what kind you really want/need after driving it for a few. Good luck..Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don’t pass this up! It sounds like a great deal. I bought a ’83 CJ-7 for $3200 and I love it. It had no rust when I bought it, it does now. With CJ’s there are two rules, enjoy the projects (if you don’t like working on it, you won’t have fun) and fight the rust. As far as the money, you can put as much or as little money into Jeeps. They are built as work horses but anything that is twenty years needs a lot of love. Mine is a 258 I6 and I have thought about swapping out with a 304. I heard they give amazing power.

'83 CJ7 258 i6 31x10.5 3in. lift?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Look for rust on the underside of the body tub near the roll-bar mounts, and at the rear frame rail, CJ's seem to rust here first. For that price I would say go for it, here in Tejas most CJ's are 4K or more.....Once you go Jeep you'll never go back. Good Luck. Also remeber the formula that keeps my house hold running, Something for the Jeep=Something for the wife.

AustnJPR

http://www.geocities.com/austnjpr/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AUSTNjpr where were you when I bought that YJ???? I could have saved SOOOO much trouble if'd I'd just gotten her one, too! At least she wants a WJ now!

Buy it. Work it. Love it.

Jon-YJ94
I6, 3.5" Black Diamond, MORE, & more
still working!

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I think that you should buy the CJ and then drive it a good while in stock condition in order to get a good feel for the vehicle. Get a repair and maintenance manual (Chilton, Haynes are ok) and learn the mechanicals of it by doing the routine maintenance. This will also give you a good feel for the Jeep.
Then you could modify the Jeep if you wish to. Like CJTaz said, it gets contagious.

The best thing about owning one is that you get to meet and speak with the people on this BBS. They have a lot of knowledge and experience with all facets of Jeepdom. Good Luck!! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I too have to agree with everyone else, it sounds good. I never really cared about getting a Jeep, but my wife had always wanted one so here we are Jeep owners for a little over a year ('95YJ) and I love it. I also have to agree with AustinJPR, except in my case it's SOMETHING FOR THE JEEP=HAPPY WIFE!!!

See ya on the road with the top down.
Tattr

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.