Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
entered my truck in the mud race last night. I won the first round in the smallblock class. The track was real sloppy and I got the nasty lane the second time and got stuck. When I tried to put the sm465 in reverse I could not pull it out of gear and you could smell the smoke from the clutch. Got pulled out and could shift as long as I was rolling. Left it in neutral and was pulled home. I washed all the mud off today and drove it over to my parents house. It seemed to shift okay. Will drop the np205 and tranny this week and look at the clutch. Need to change the oil and seals in it anyway. Guy I bought it from says he put a Centerforce clutch in it which I think is lifetime guarenteed. Why would it work today and not last night though?

78' Stepside
94' GMC Z71

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i had a 77 step side i put a centerforce dual friction in, after about 8 months of wheeling the center shattered it would work then it wouldent the center parts were getting wedged in the clutch since i parked the truck in the winter the clutch was over a year old centerforce did not warranty it i went to a heavy duty gm 12" clutch and other than the occasional slip in 4 lo headlight deep in mud it worked fine for 2 years till i sold the truck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
where did you get the gm clutch from? I looked on gm performance parts website and couldn't find it. About how much does the whole pack cost?

78' Stepside
94' GMC Z71

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
drained the tcase and tranny today. Also pulled off the shifters and driveshafts. Will drop the tranny and case tommorrow. Should I put a new flywheel in with the clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing?

78' Stepside
94' GMC Z71

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
a friend of mine put in a center force clutch into his z28 and the thing melted on him after couple of months, destroyed his flywheel and the pressure plate. i know that some of those clutches have been recalled, don't know which once though, and i know that that fried of mine never got a new one, got fed up and got himself a new one somewhere else.

Will work for mods
Current mods--> 31x10.5x15 ProComp MT, 15x8 AR767 rims, K&N, MSD Ignition Coil.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The company I work for gets a discount at Napa so that's probably where I will get all the parts from.

78' Stepside
94' GMC Z71

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.