Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking a welding class for credit here at school and by the end of the week I am going to be ready to weld and work in the lab by myself, or with a friend without supervision. I am going to start building a new bumper. Does anyone have pics of ones that they have built. And the tube diamitars that you used. Thanks a lot. If anyone has details on how they hung the attachments for D-rings that would be great because I want to hang Drings on my new bumper. Thanks for any pics and info.

91 YJ 4in lift waiting in the garage till March !
"Because there is no reason not to"

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Here's my front one, 2"x4"x3/16", ends cut off at a 45deg angle with 3/16" caps welded on, 2" receiver for d-ring on shackle or vise on a 2x2 shaft

pbm
There is a difference between being Educated and Intelligent!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Cool latch for the tire carrier! Where did you get it?

Rodney C

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sloop, What size steel are those hangers for those D-rings. Is that 3/4in steel or thicker? And by the way that is a really nice bumper and those welds are exellent. Very well done.

91 YJ 4in lift waiting in the garage till March !
"Because there is no reason not to"

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
heres a link to pics of the front bumper I just built, pics are a little small but maybe you can make 'em out....mine has a removeable winh plate, basically you un-plug the winch, undo 4 nuts, and unlock the pad lock, then I can move the winch over to my other Jeep or to the rear of my Jeep once I fab it up and make a mounting plate for the receiver. It also has a lockable jack mount to secure my hi-lift....

heres the link:

http://photos.yahoo.com/cj8r

kerryp

http://bastroptx4x4.alloffroad.com

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Patrick

I copied (ahem) er opted for the same design as you /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif . Did you buy the insert for your reciever for the "D" ring ? They want almost as much for that as I paid for materials to build my bumper . Just wondering . Here`s mine :

Jeff /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

Attachments

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Jeff-
Yep, it cost more than the material to do the bumper, $29.00 for the insert, and about $12.00 in material for the bumper. I went this way so I can use it in the rear as well.

pbm
There is a difference between being Educated and Intelligent!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I just bought my 4"X2"X1/8"x48" peice of square tube.
It cost me $22, but that's CDN. and the owner of the metal-supermarket let me run around and grab all the scraps and off-cuts I could.
I ended up with about 4 more peices of 1ft long angle iorn,(mounting brackets) and a 2ft peice of 2"X1/8" for my end caps.
Not such a bad deal considering $22 CDN is about $0.14 USD.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
If you are referring to mine , about 25 bucks with the paint . It`s pretty scoocum alright . 3 1/16" steel , 2X5" . Godbless anything I ever run into /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif .

G

·
First of all Very nice job on the bumpers I also plan to build a bumper this spring. But I have a few questions.
1) The plate material used was it a mild steel or a structural high carbon grade like ASTM A36? I know most structural tube and angle will be at least that.
2) The receiver for the hitch, What size tube did you use? I know most are 2" but is that the inside of the receiver tube? So than would you buy 2 1/2 X 2 1/2 tube with a 1/4" wall for the receiver? how long is that tube?
3) Is the receiver tied back to the frame by means other than the structural integrity of the bumper? If so can you show a picture of how you accomplished that?
4) very nice clamp connector for the spare tire support. can you let me (us) know where you obtained it?
5) and finally approx. how long did it take for you to fabricate one of these bumpers?

Sorry for how long this post is but I really want a to build a custom bumper and I don't have the resources to make it twice.
Keith

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I can answer a couple questions , is there a A40 ? Thats what my chunk of steel had stenciled on it . It is VERY heavy . On the reciever stock , the steel dude said there is only one type he would sell me , it is seamless and fits a 2 " reciever draw bar perfectly . There was other 2X2" there but he said it wasnt reciever tube so I learned something. On my front bumper , the reciever mount in the bumper is about 7 " long and goes through the bumper , but is not attatched to the frame otherwise . As far as strength goes , my friend is a Pipeline welder and I trust his opinion on it and he said I could pick the whole Jeep up with a proper hook in the recepticle . It`s beefy /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.