Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 69 to 71 jeepster to swap front ends with my 73 bullnose?? Is this doable and is this a fairly simple bolt-on, since I'm no mechanical genius.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
The "hummmmm" Bullnose has something like 6" more length in the front, I think it's because of the stock bronco grill on it. I'm sure you'd feel better riding around with the better front clip on your commando.....hope you find a Jeepster clip to install soon and you'll see what I'm talkin' about. You'll have to do some mods to install it since the engine block is longer than a 225 V6 71 or earlier.

Lizard Man
70 & 71 Halfcabs

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I am going to keep my mouth shut for all you Bullnose guys.

(HELL YEAH RIP IT OFF AND FIND A WAY)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all......maybe I'll just paint her up and hope she looks prettier!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When are you jeepster guys going to start switching to Commando front ends so you can fit the rest of the engine?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
that heat must be really gettin' to ya there in texas. you have the best lookin jeep made. its an aquired taste, like beer.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
its the "buffalo theory". kill off all the slow jeeps (jeepsters) and your left with only the best stock. (commandos)

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
It has been done, but IMO it's more trouble than it's worth. Like someone else said, if you really want to swap in a real Jeep front clip in place of the bullnose the easiest way is to get a later model CJ grill, hood, and fenders.

BTW, the reason for the bullnose was so AMC could fit their I-6 and V-8 under the hood. But did they put a bullnose on the CJ-5? Noooo...why'd they have to do it to the Jeepster? Stupid Jerk Engineers.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Heres a CJ clip on my currently buried Commando. As you can see (sort of) the rockers were replaced by the PO with 2x4 steel tubing and the front is all CJ7 but it will soon change when I dig it out again. A CJ front does bolt on pretty easy but there are issues with matching the bottom of the fenders up with the tub.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
It's nice to see that some of you Commando owners are realizing that the only way to make a Scout look better is to make it look like a Jeepster.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Blasphemy! Jeepster front clip! I agree with toad, must be the Texas heat.
Jeepster heapster! What ever you call that weak piece of Sh** (stock) it still has crap for axles and half an engine. The only way to make a jeepster better is to replace the entire drive train with bullnose axles, engine etc. Stock the jeepster sucks a$$.
Commandos were stronger from the factory...just face it.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Ever notice how the silent majority on this board (read - Jeepster owners) don't need to put everyone else down because they drive something different? What's with you bullnose guys? Inferiority complex, perhaps?

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
In reply to:

Poster: chdorsey
It's nice to see that some of you Commando owners are realizing that the only way to make a Scout look better is to make it look like a Jeepster.
For the record, a real Scout looks better than either a bullnose or a Jeepster in stock form. V-8 power, Dana 44's rear and front, and true truck transmissions, whether you're talking auto or manual.

Personally, I've always thought bullnoses looked like little Blazers.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
If you really want to get down to it early broncos looked pretty much the same and had dana 44s in the front and 9 inchers in the rear. You cant beat that in any other vehicle about the same size especially with a V8. But I drive Jeeps. I cant afford a Bronco!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.