Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I am new here and new to jeeping. I just bought my willy's right before christmas. I was wondering if anybody had any info on converting a basically stock faltfender to rock crawling status? I want to shoehorn a 350 between the fenders backed up by a 4 spd. manual and a Dana 300 t-case. I already have a Dana 60 rearend and 36" superswampers on hummer wheels. I like to do all the research I can about a subject, but I cant find any more. I would like stories about someone that has done this before, stuff like that. I am not new to the carbuilding scene but that was muscle cars, not rockcrawling 4X4's. I want to drive it around town sometimes too, but mainly it will be used for getting some place where no one can get too. Thanks.

Jim, flatfenders forever

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Jim,
Welcome to the board and congradulations on getting the willy's. Actually, it sounds like you have a good plan. With the Willy you have one of two choices. All stock and in original condition, or modify the hell out of it so that the only thing that looks like the original is the body.
In your research did you check out the oneline magazines? I can't give you any help since I'm driving a CJ but I'm sure you are about to get a ton of responses from the willy's crowd.

Good Luck and please keep us posted on the progress. Thought about doing a web page to show the progress?

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have thought about doing a web page. In fact, I am keeping a journal. I right down everything I do. I am also keeping photo record of my progress. You should see some of the cobled up things done to this poor old jeep. The previous owner was a firm believer in duct tape. And if that didnt work, he welded it. I have my work cut out for me that is for sure.

Jim, flatfenders forever

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One recommendation, if you use a V-8, box the frame completely. Those old C channel frames will crack under the torque of a V-8.

Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have access to cable or satellite, you could check out TNN's series called "Trucks." It gives tips and info about off-roading and adding-on. Currently they are building a sweet off-road Willys Wagon they call project "Wicked Willys." Also to note to others, they are going to show how to waterproof a Jeep Wrangler this Saturday (I think it's on around noon in the Central time zone). Good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Jim
Check out the Jeep Junkies Webring, at
http://www.webring.org/cgi-bin/webring?ring=jeepjunkies;list
Use their index to take you to some of the flatfender project sites. There's also a Willys Webring, some of these guys have links to that on their pages. I know there are guys there with details on projects just like yours.
(If that address above didn't come through, I'll put it below with some spaces in to get around the censors. Remove the spaces to use)
http:// www.webring. org/cgi-bin/webring?ring=jeepjunkies;list
HTH

Lynn
'71/'48/'97

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think Trucks has a web sit www.truckstv.com I haven't been there yet. Sorry don't know how to make it clickable.

Just a farmer, who drinks to much coffee.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Hi there. Sounds like a good plan but don't know if you'll have any rear driveline left. What model Willys do you have? If it's a cj/mb the 300/60 combo may be too long and cause too much rear driveline angle. Check out "Project Black and Blue". The old CJ's are fairly short and drivelines are not very long. If you want to have any rear wheel articulation you may want to go with a 18 tcase and a d44 rear. Just my $.02 worth. Good luck!

C-Ya.....................kh

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.