Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal, guys -- I can't deal with driving this Honda every day. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif It's been a great car, and gets 40 MPG plus every tank, even at 170,000+ miles, but... man, is it boring to drive. /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif I've driven the YJ every day since 1993 when I got it, and I can't adjust -- I need to drive a Jeep again everyday. I've been doing the Honda thing for about a year now, and I just can't do it anymore.

Now, I'm doing a lot of highway now with a new job, and the YJ isn't up to it everyday. It's been built up too much to really do well with the highway thing.

So, I'm considering buying another jeep, and keeping the YJ for trails only. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif The new jeep will be built 100% for the street. I know, this is sad, but...

How bad, really, are 4 cyl. YJs for highway and daily drivers? Will I be really disappointed with one? They are so much cheaper than 4.0s in my area. Now, the older 87-90-somethings... did they still have the crappy peugot 5-spd tranny? What would be good mods for a street jeep? Are the air box mods and exhaust mods that big a gain? This jeep would be kept light, but would likely have a hardtop and hard doors year round for security. It would probably still get a 2" or so suspension, and maybe 31s, just for looks.

Any thoughts??????

Thanks,
Sorry for the length,
Pete

88YJ, 90 Honda CRX, 79 F250 4WD, 70 Jaguar E-type, car trailer, camper, sailboat... Toys./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif What you could do Pete, is strip all of the excess weight out of the E-Type; like the interior and most of the exterior body features. With that kind of weight reduction it would be not only interesting to drive, but would get great gas mileage./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif A daily driver extraordinaire./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif In late 1996 we were looking for a Jeep Grand Cherokee to buy, and believed the bulls#it in consumer reports about the crappy fuel mileage that the ZJ's got(THEY CLAIMED 19.0 WAS TOPS). I spent three weeks poring over the dealer spec sheets and finally spec'd one out. We got the 4.0 Laredo, with the highest gears in the axles (3.54), left off EVERYTHING that was heavy, like skid plate and roll-down rear window. We got an automatic with .69:1 overdrive, and the NV242 transfer case. On flat ground WITH AIR CONDITIONING, I can often get 25 MPG. Why would I want to drive anything else?? I actually believe that the 4.0 would beat the 4-cyl in fuel mileage if you drove the YJ over 45 MPH. A 4.0 turning over slow is TERRIFIC on fuel mileage./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
A moonguy-operated Jeep Skunkworks in the "Heartland".

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
If you do decide to get a 4 banger jeep i'd say look into an xj. I think they are actually lighter than yj/tj's and they do really good on the highway. I drive a '97 TJ and my dad has a '99xj, they both have 4.0's and auto's but the xj has a 4 speed w/ overdrive. My tj is scarry at high speeds but the xj is great at speeds it's night and day, the wheel base helps witht the ride and control on the highway. I'd say keep the tires samll (so the 4 banger doesn't have to turn as much unless you want to re-gear, 31's w/ 4.56's is the same as 27's w/ 4.10's) maybe 235/75/15 at's on aluminum wheels (to cut weight). Do the basic performance mods like intake, exhaust, tb spacer, msd box, and good tune up parts. Then cut weight any where you can, keep the bumpers stock, go with a soft top and doors for weight savings. If you want a better ride do a shackle reversal, maybe some rs9000's but keep the suspension stock unless you really need a lift, the bigger tires won't make the highway fun. Maybe add things like a full cage and tow hooks but keep the offroad mods on the other jeep.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a mini-van

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
The older 87-90 YJ with a 2.5 TBI, have an honest 120hp[edit: 112 hp] and they are not bad on the road. Mine was able to do highway speeds with 4.56 gears and 35" tires. I would have to wind it up to 4000 rpms to do 60 mph on the hills, but it would do it very easily without overheating on even the hottest days. You wont have the crappy Peugot tranny with 2.5 it will have the AX5.
I would think that a 2.5 with "NO LARGER THAN 31" tires", and 4.10 gears(which they came with), would be a very reliable and viable daily driver. With a 1" body lift, and TJ flares it would still look a little beefier than stock. And it could still be made to a be very capable "Off Road Sleeper" with some trick fine tuning of the stock suspension, and a lunch box rear locker. The earlier YJ(87-90) D35 axles also were the non C clip version, which could easily handle your 31" tires.
Get rid of any chrome and keep it a classy flat black and factory paint color scheme, with some utilitarian looking bumpers, and you could have an affordable, reliable, fun, and respectable, daily driver, with a rag top, that could still be played with, as long as you recognized your limitations.
I think its a great idea.

Jeff
89 YJ
(sensibly altered for occasional off road use)
Vision without Action, is a Daydream. Action without Vision is a Nightmare.

·
Registered
370 Posts
On my 95 4 cyl. I noticed imnprovement in highway performance after air box mods, after K&N filter and after Borla catback. I don't have any problems maintaining highway speeds, but my tires are just 235's.

jerry
87 Cherokee 4.0, 90 Wrangler 4.2, 95 Wrangler 2.5

G

·
I drive a 95 rio grande and I live with the YJ on the highway. By the time its really built, I'll probably buy another vehicle to get around with. I would suggest a hardtop and doors for winter, it makes a huge difference in the "comfort" of Jeep driving. Also, pull the skid plates and clean and paint the undercarriage if you won't need the protection. dirt and salt get trapped in there and cause the most rust damage. Yes, they're slower than most cars. Yes, they're louder than most cars. Will they get you there? You bet ya!

Jay
95 Wrangler Rio Grande...She's gettin there - I'm all about the 4 cyls ;)
http://www.geocities.com/heavycream

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Everybody complains about 4cyl power, but there are so many good points about them: They are lighter, more fuel efficient, and have adequate power. (Clifford Performance makes parts for many 4cyls in addition to 6cyls). My daily driver is a '95 Ford Ranger I bought new off the lot. It is the standard cab with a longbed. It's got the 4cyl (last year it was available in a 4x4 according to ford), 4.10s, 235/75R15 Hankook T34 mudders (came with 215 Firestones) and I've taken it places where guys with fullsizes and V8s just shake their heads! The only place the lack of power really bothers me is on long hills where I have to drop out of overdrive into 4th. And even with the canopy it pulls 25mpg on the highway.

It's all a state of mind, and if you don't mention the state of my mind, I'll be happy to overlook yours!

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
CJ5 Pilot,
The 4 are good little engiens, but I woudnt go overboard here. There is no place you can go with it that would somehow inheirantly limit a well running V8, as you are somewhat implying.
And as far as fuel economy,..on the trail my 5.0 gets way better mileage than my 2.5 ever did. I can idle wher I used to have turn 2500 rpms to achieve the same result.

Jeff
89 YJ

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif I'm reading that the cj5 pilot goes places with his COMBINATION that some full sizers don't want to go. Little engine matched with little truck does good in the hands of good driver while other less capable drivers sitting in larger trucks with larger engines might recoil in horror./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif It's no big mystery that the 5.0 does so well since the compooterized FI slaps every cc of the 2-2-4 Trimethyl Pentane around real good before letting anything go out the exhaust pipe. I doubt if the 4 cyl engine was anywhere near that technically advanced./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

CJDave
A moonguy-operated Jeep Skunkworks in the "Heartland".

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, thanks guys!! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Dave, I don't think stripping the E-type is the best approach, but thanks for the response. /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif The E is a bit too nice to take some places I go (park on the side- streets of the city to go to a nice pub, for instance).

I have considered a Triumph TR6 with a hardtop/softtop combo, that would be a lot of fun to drive, but the E pretty much takes care of my British sports car needs, so I think I'm in the market for another Jeep.

H8, thanks also -- I'm glad the 4's don't have the Peugot crap - I will not rule it out, then, in my search. I will have to go drive some and see what I think. I know the please-go (peugot) is a 2 piece case, and easy to spot. Is the AX5 you mention a 2-piece also, or is a good sign that as long as it doesn't have a 2-piece case, the tranny is ok?

Thanks to all!!!
Pete

88YJ, 90 Honda CRX, 79 F250 4WD, 70 Jaguar E-type, car trailer, camper, sailboat... Toys./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Actually H8, there is a LOT of implying going on in my post! *grin* The biggest implication being that though there is no replacement for displacement, you can have a lot of fun with a 4cyl! I really like to go places people say I'll never make with my little rig--without breaking it. I take a lot of crap from guys that spend lots of bucks on their fullsize chevys (you know, big stereos, big tires, open diffs, and a great idea where the accelerator is--my former boss was one of them....funny though, he was never willing to go offroad with me.....even against the Ranger, let alone the '76 high boy or jeep.....) and fords that make fun of my little truck (sample truck is one I hear a lot!). At the end of the year though, I have far less down time, and have gone a lot more places than they ever did (one thing to note, very few people in my area have really nicely set up rigs--most of them have bigger egos and motors than anything else). My big thing, is my Ranger is my daily driver. I'm a bit careful with it, and pick my lines well (biggest reasons I had bought the '76 and then the cj5). Also, 95% of the time I'm 4x4ing by myself and in areas where it would be hours, if not days before someone could help me out. (2 years ago I got stuck and started walking back to where I might get cell phone reception--about 1/4 mile back up the trail I ran into fresh brown bear tracks over my tire tracks....I could have set my 6" Smith .44 in the track without it touching any of the sides! Makes you kinda careful!) I've had my Ranger stuck exactly 1 time (we won't talk about the fullsizes I've had stuck over the years....well over a decade ago my high school nickname was "highcenter" and it wasn't because of any physical attributes!), and it's pulled a lot (never kept count with the truck though I have started a "kill board" with the Jeep!) of fullsize rigs of the mud/snow/muskeg. I guess what I'm saying is that given a choice I'll take a big engine (my CJ5 has a 304) and big tires, but you don't NEED them to have fun! Careful driving makes up for a lot of power. Hell, my dad took his '60 CJ5 4 banger places that I wouldn't want to try in a nodwell. Also, though longer, my Ranger is about the width of a Jeep, and I've done trails you couldn't get a fullsize down--like going between 2 trees only AFTER pulling the mirrors in! I like my 304, but if my jeep had a 2.5L, I bet I wouldn't go any less places!

Oh, one thing to note. I don't rock crawl, mainly mud and trails, and that colors my perceptions a bit. Playing in the rocks is a whole 'nother kettle of fish--flex, power and crawl ratio become way more important. If I ever end up in the lower 48, I might try it, but no place to play like that up here!

'Sides, I do 130mph with only a 110hp 4cyl horizontal opposed engine (aircooled) and 3 wheels and can outclimb any jeep as my other hobby! *grin*

It's all a state of mind, and if you don't mention the state of my mind, I'll be happy to overlook yours!

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Bob,
Jeepchick and I were driving a trail late one Friday night(we didnt get started untill after I got off work), we made camp, and could hear other rigs on the rails so we made camp and headed out.
We were on the Bald Mountain trails above Fresno ca.
Well we drove up over a hill, and on the other side was a bunch of big horsepower CJ's, Cruisers, and Broncos. Tom Boyd was one of the guys (the owner/driver of white Bronco thats been on a couple of Petersons covers), along with several other regular glamour rigs that I had seen before in the rags. They were all attempting to climb a rock called "2 step". I was impressed by all the lights and glitz,...untill I watched several high rev botched attempts to climb what looked like a fairly simple climb. So after they had spent about 20 gallons of fuel and basicly beat the piss out of their rigs, I lined up for my turn. Keep in mind they had magazine photographers there and lights all pointing at the rock to capture this never before climbed obstacle by a short wheel base. So I line up, and Tom steps to the top of the climb and tries to wave me off, "Hey clown, you dont want anything to do with this rock" he says to me,(as Kathy looks to see if Im gonna just climb out and explain simple manners to this fool), but I was almost dunmbfounded at the way he was talking to me, and just kinda stared in amazement. So he says "dont you realize the rigs that are trying to climb this rock?" "go away". I shook of my shock, and said,"git the [email protected] outa the way yer standing where Im climbing", he says "fine, lets see what you got" and attempts to gesture me in a spotter pose to follow his advice. I tell, him "get the hell outa the way, Ive seen what you can do", and Kathy hops out. climbs up on the rocks and gives me a line that walks a small crack in the rock face, I unlock the front drive(2wd low terra kit), wheel spin the rear tires on line, lock it back up and walked to the top. Camera were flashing and everyone went nuts,... I said to the HP boys, wanna see what Im runnin?,..I had just recently swapped in a free 2.5 from a 90 YJ, that a freind gave me when my old 6 died on me.
I was the 1st Jeep(or short wheel base to ever climb "2 step", it is still lore in the Fresno area, and dozens of people and cameras recorded it.
So I deffinitely know that its not the engine alone that gets the job done. On the same note, with the V8, I struggled with the obstacle when I was there for moonlight madness, but made it. But, I didnt even notice it was an obstacle with the V8 and long wheel base when I was last there.
In any case, I agree that 4 cylinders can be very capable and a lot of fun.

Jeff
89 YJ

1 - 12 of 12 Posts