Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok.. so i won an 81 CJ7, it has the 258 and 20 rear, 30 front. 300 T case and the tranny i dunno.

For my first question. i welded up teh front end and now i keep breaking hubs when out wheeling. i have broken 2 so far. are they ust week.?
2} would it be better to do a SOA with wide rims, or put full sized chevy axles under it.? i like how narrow it is now but with inset rims on the chevys it might be about the same.
3} would it be better to take the whole drive train out of my truck {85 short box" and put in it.? i like to go rock crawling and mudding and still go out in the woods and not role over side slops.
So some ideas woudl e nice i have in my truck that could be put in a jeep.
new crate heavy duty 350, 4 speed tranny with granny low, NP 205 t case and 44 front and 12 bolt oin the rear. both the front and rear are welded up.
what i liek about the jeep is it's small and narrow. but seems like very thing it WEEK and breaks to easly.
SO. some help would be greatly apricated.
thank you.
p.s. i kinda like how this jeep is set up. maybe a little tall. but nice...

i'm gonna try and atach a photo.. lets see if it works....

blaming a gun for killing someone is like blaming a pencil for a misspelled word.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
The axles will be an upgrade though if you want brute streangth get the front d60 from a single rear will 1 ton chevy and then a 14 bolt from a chassis cab chevy, that will be 63" wide, perfect width for the jeep and then narrow the d60 front to 63" and you will be at the "perfect width" for a jeep. The 350, 4 speed, 205 set up is really common though sometimes there are width issues.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a mini-van

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the Jeep in the picture is the one that you won, you are breaking stuff because the tires are about 5 sizes bigger than what your drivetrain can handle. For tires that size you need a Dana 60, or at the very least an HD44. I run 33's with an ARB and I feel like I am really pushing it with the Dana30 in the front. Also, if you have the five bolt hubs, they are a little weak. If you plan on keeping those tires, you really should go to a 60. I have torn the u-joints out on my 44 under my Chev truck with no locker in the front, and only 33 inch tires. If your 20 in the back does not have one piece axles, I would look for a 60 for the rear too, or a 14 bolt. At the very least I would truss that thing and put in one piece axles. Unless you have a very light foot, and even if you do, it is only a matter of time before you spin a two piece.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces! Except for one!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no the pic is not mine. i have a standered cj7 and want to build it up some. not to extravagent. but jsut a little more than it is now. it has 31.10.5 on it now. the biggest i think i want to go in tires is like a 33/9.5 or a 34.10.5. as for the rear i'me ordering the one pice kit for it. and working on a design for a truss. any ways thanks for all the info.
this is my heep.
iAMDking.
HR.

blaming a gun for killing someone is like blaming a pencil for a misspelled word.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts