Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the most travel that you can get out of a set of buggy springs. I've heard that the most travel is only 2 inches. This seems really small since the revolvers give 10 inches of travel. I would rather use the buggies because they're cheaper, but I would like to have the travel of the Revolvers. Any suggestions? would a full length spring instead of 3/4 give more travel?

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The amount of extra travel from a 3/4 elliptical spring will vary from vehicle to vehicle depending on a lot of different factors.

The only time I heard anyone mention numbers was in a magazine refering to the 8 inches of "extra" travel the buggy spring allowed on a Suzuki Samurai competing in the TTC.

Personally........I would go cheap and be happy!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

You would not be able to use a full length spring, but obviously the longer you make it the more droop you will experience.

In addition, it wouldn't be too hard to rig up a cantilever type set-up if you can weld.

jo-jo
'77 CJ5 Fozzy Locker
20 degree RTI 1250

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
The longer you make the upper spring in a 3/4 ellip, the harder it is to keep the axel located. If you used a 3 link setup to locate the axel you could get more creative. The softer the upper spring the more it will flex and droop but then you'll get alot of body roll. I use my cj on the road alot so for the upper leaf i use a stiff leaf with a military wrap leaf(in case one breaks)and still get a total of about 6" more travel(2" up, 4"down)plus the droop and compression of the lower leaf pack.
Using a "buggy spring" you should be a able to achieve more droop and be able to clamp it to the frame when on the road. But I'm a little leery of one soft leaf(buggy leaf) holding the suspension together. If you go this route inspect the spring regularly for fatigue, spring leafs break all the time.

Wayne in Hawaii
"PYRO II" '77CJ5

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.