Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about doing a buggy-leaf setup in the rear. Can you do it without having to relocate the springs? Also is it safe to put buggy-leafs in the front?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
hey man, you can do this without relocating the springs, but you will have to fab the mounts n needed supports. seen it done several different ways. as far as ""SAFE"" goes, it all depends on the use of the rig and the person driving it. my neighbor recently rolled a chevette on a straight dry road. as long as the fabrication is done PROPERLY/SAFELY/STRUCTURALLY SOUND, actuall saftey depends on the driver. tim porter has drop links on his green rig front n back, similar in design but different in the same manner. but he is shackle reverse too.
now for my opinion, on steep up n down hills, """I"""" would """"PERSONALLY"""" be weeery of them, dont like the idea of front raising on a up hill cause i had to gas on it, or the rear raisin on a down hill cause i braked to hard. plus mine is a daily driver, so i wont go too wild. my next rig might well get buggy leafs or drop links, not sure yet, but if so, they will be pinnable too.
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I have found a way to make the buggy leaf set-up safe on-road. All you would have to do is mount two tabs on each side of the buggy leaf spring and when on-road just insert a trailer hitch pin so the buggy leaf cannot move. I have asked Glenn from RRO why he hasn't performed this same type of modification on his missing links. If I remember correctly he said that he has been advised by his lawyer not to make them and claim that they were safe for on-road driving for liability reasons. I can understand why he won't make them to sell, but otherwise the idea would work. I see no reason why it wouldn't work on the buggy leaf set-up as well.

87' Samurai/1.6 Big Block/dual 40mm Mikunis/header/2" exhaust/5.5" SPOA/1" shackle lift/CJ-5/Sami springs/31" High-Tecs/roll cage, bumpers & pumpkin caps in progress...

Attachments

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
That's a nice pic, did you make it?

Nice explanation, I may do something like this on the Scrambler as I need more flex.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Yeah, I just made it on Microsoft Paint. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

I have been thinking of the buggy leaf set-up for a while and how to make it safe on-road. I bet you could even install buggy leaves on the front axle as long as you did it this way and installed a panhard bar. I could just imagine the side-to-side movement of the front axle without a pan hard bar.

87' Samurai/1.6 Big Block/dual 40mm Mikunis/header/2" exhaust/5.5" SPOA/1" shackle lift/CJ-5/Sami springs/31" High-Tecs/roll cage, bumpers & pumpkin caps in progress...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts