Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 85 Bronco II, with a 2.8 L engine, 4 speed with OD manual tranny. I'm wondering if a 2.9 engine will fit with the existing tranny, motor mounts, etc., without any modifications. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
2 Posts
Complete wiring harness, the ECU from the 2.9 donor vehicle, (as near as I can tell there are 4 different ECU's, 2 auto trans and 2 manual trans, they are not interchangeable).
My suggestion would be to find an Explorer/Ranger with 4.0L and upgrade to that. Buy the entire vehicle so you have all the parts for the swap.
The reason for going this way: 2.9 parts are becoming harder to find, they have a tendency to crack the stock heads (and aftermarket are $$$$), the swap to the 4.0 from what you have will probably be no worse than swapping in a 2.9 and if you can find a complete vehicle you will have all the parts to do the swap on hand. This is only a suggestion. The 4.0 is a little taller, but fits in to the Bronco II engine compartment like it was put in at the factory. The 4.0 will also give you a little more HP and if you keep your foot off the throttle, probably a little better MPG.
If you get an Explorer you will be able to swap out the front end and rear end to the stronger 8.8 with 31 spline axles. This is a direct swap with no welding or other modification and well worth the time.
Go to the Rangerstation Forum and look in the technical library for more information.

· Registered
1 Posts
4.0 Engine Swap

I also have a 85 Bronco II that the 2.8 went bad in. I am interested in swapping in the 4.0. I noticed that you said the tranny will no fit in the swap. What would be the best solution to this problem? I want to keep the bronco manual.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.