Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all from a newbie to the forum. Glad to have found such a informative place.
First of all I'd like to say that I'm new to the 4x4 scene, other that takin' a few past trucks out and slammin the mud, so please be patient with me.
I'm lookin for some info on my new/used Bronco. Basically I'm trying to determine what type of drivetrain and axels that I have. To make this easier I've provided some pictures that I thought might help and posted them on a webpage. Under each set of pics. and any numbers I could find, I've asked my questions. I would welcome any help that anyone might have to offer. Thanks in advance!
Mak
http://www.geocities.com/qualityhp/Truck/BroncoID.html

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
9 inch rearend, probably 3.55 for ratio, dana 44 IFS twin traction beam front.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Geosites didn't work for me.

But if it is 80-96 it has a Dana 44 IFS.

80-84 probally ford 9 inch rear end with 3.50 gears.
85-96 probally ford 8.8 inch rear end with 3.55 gears.

If you have a cover on the rear of the center section of the rear axle you have a 8.8 inch. Now look for a tag on one of the bolts on the rear differential. Look in the upper left corner of it. IF it has 3 08 you have 3.08 gears. If 3 55 you have 3.55 gears. If you have 3L 08 you have 3.08 gears with a limited slip differential. 3L 55, well you get the point.

You can look at the tag on the 9 inch too. The bolts are on the front of the rear end. Actually studs with nuts. And the whole front section of the differential unbolts.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Re: Cruddy site

ya, i got to view it real quik before that happened, and saw the 9 inch.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your rear axle is a 9", your transfer case is a NP 208 they were put in early 80s model Fords, I have on in my 84 F150 and have not had any problems with it. The front axle is a Dana 44 TTB, twin traction beam, it is a IFS. The front might have leveling coils. The rear does look a little high someone might have put new leaf springs in the rear.

Hope this helps ya

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Question 1 Yes, 9"
yes that is the breather, by the angle out the side, it is possible to leak some fluid, you should have a vent hose attached to it and routed up high somewhere. mine is routed all the way to the engine compartment.

Q 2 NP208, I believe they are fine. Gearing (low) at 2.61

Q3 Probably a C6 for an auto.

Q4 Lift, hard to tell if 4". I am thinking 2" because you have an add a leaf, probably just a single on each side. 2nd from bottom if I remember the pic. It is thicker and designed different than the rest. Depending on the lift, this could have also rotated your axle, making that vent tube further down on the back side, while rotating the front upward, helping the driveshaft angle. I saw this leaking occur on an 8.8 axle with 6 lift and too much rotation.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
ya, mine leaks out the vent like crazy, but oww well.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
tranny is the C6.

Ratios: 2.46:1 (1st); 1.46:1 (2nd); 1.00:1 (3rd).
Used by: 1968-and-later Fords. Three bellhousing patterns were offered, and the pan has 17 bolts. The case is 20 inches long, and the 4x4 version's steel housing tailshaft bolts direct to the transfer case and is 5 3/4 inches long.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the help to everyone that responded.
Sorry about the web page, I just thought it would be a quick and easy way to get some pics. up!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts