Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure that somewhere this has been covered. I apologize for asking again but with my poor computer skills and a dial up connection I would be looking for hours and most likely still not find my answer. I have a 1988 Wrangler with the 2.5l and manual steering. The previous owner told me a mechanic told him the slop in the steering was related to the steering box and the fix was to replace the box. What would be involved in switching to power steering? Is it as simple as getting a power steering box and a pump and brackets? I figure if I have to replace the box I might as well upgrade to power steering at the same time if it is not too much more time and money. Thank you to all for being patient with me.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
That's all there is to it. But a couple of cautions:

1) There are two types of hose connections to the box and the pump - flare and O-ring. The hoses, pump and box must match.

2) There are two sizes of input shaft spline. One's about a 1/2" in diameter and the other's about 3/4". Make sure you get the one that fits your steering shaft.

Other than that, get the parts and bolt them in. The bolts might be rusted in, which can be a challenge. And getting the pitman arm off the old box can be a real bear. Easiest way is to take it to a shop with a press and let them remove it.

But your problem might be solved by just adjusting the box. Attached are the instructions from the '78 FSM. They're basically the same for all years.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts