Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I need some advice. Sometime in the past, one of the studs that holds the ehxaust manifold to the head snapped off in the head. I tried to use a bolt extractor on it and it broke (cheap manufacturer). It does leak and I was wondering if anyone out there had any ideas on how to remove it. It is the stud closest to the firewall on my 4 banger. Should I just try to find a used head? Thanks,

Nick Hagen
1995 Wrangler
33" Mud Tires and a four banger

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif No sweat, Nick....just take the manifold outa the way, and have someone(or you if you are an ace welder) weld a nut over the broke off piece. Get a deep weld...get it cherry red...then go off and watch the world series. Return after the game...get a box end on the nut....gently tap back and forth till movement is evidenced...then unscrew the broken stud. Works every time. If you were closer, I would demonstrate it. I like using a wire welder for that, but I have used an AC homeowner grade buzz box...someone else's helmet...and old moisturized rod when I came upon a buddy who was struggling. I have NEVER failed to get one out. Had to weld on as many as four nuts sometimes on the real pesky ones, but never had to walk away./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
great suggestion, small problem. The remainder of the stud doesn't actually stick out of the head so I can't weld a nut on it. Any other ideas,
Thanks for trying

Nick Hagen
1995 Wrangler
33" Mud Tires and a four banger

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Nooooooo Sweat! Ace welders can weld onto whatever is there, since the cast iron head will not accept the weld very readily. I have welded plenty of them that were well below the surface. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.