Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm restoring my 57 CJ5 and I pulled the tranny and transfer case. The problem I had was when I couldn't get the E-brake drum off, I got impatient and started to pry. I later found out that the reason it didn't come off was because there was still a bolt in it. So needless to say I busted one of the flanges on the piece that unattaches from the Xfer case. My question is do you think I can use something like JB weld and reattach it or am I SOL?

I have no fear of falling, I just hate hitting the ground

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I dont think the JB weld will be strong enough, given it is one bolt broken out of like 6 bolts. You can buy the output housing, the piece you broke, for about $30 I believe, maybe a little more, but the part is available. That is the one thing about Dana 18, there are two or three bolts that are hidden, and if you pull the case apart in a hurry, you will miss em and start cracking pieces. I feel your pain.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's part of the output shaft. I think it had like 6 bolts in it, but now it only hold 5. If it's only $30-$40 bucks I'll just get a new one and not worry about it maybe cracking sometime

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
While you have the case apart, check the case for any cracks. Many times the case itself will crack from that extra bolt still in the housing. The use of the BFH will make it split nicely.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea I'll check on that because I did use the BFH a couple of times. I'm going to have to be more careful. I hate mistakes that cost money

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I just threw out a case from my parts jeep, because there is a big crack across the top. It starts mysteriously where the case attaches to the tranny. I belong to the school of thought of I don't learn unless I break it. It is a very expensive to belong to, but I am slowly getting patience, where I will walk away and attack it later on. Funny thing is that it works wonders and is cheaper. Good luck on your project.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts