Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I managed to break off two bolts (1 on each side) when I was removing the rear spring hanger on my 81 CJ7.

Anyone have any ideas, hopefully easy ones. The rear cross member is off and I can see the nuts. I have tried heat and PB Blaster and nothing. There isn't that much to grap with Vice-Grips either it is already kinda rounded off.

One of them is the first one in and I was thinking of sliding my sawzall in and try to cut the nut off. Then I can just get a new bolt and hopfully just drop it in with some lock washers. On the other side it is the second one in, so that idea won't work.

Punch it out and drop in new bolts? Drill larger holes on top and drop in the new bolts? weld in a patch?

Ideas please?

Thanks
Mark F

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just had to repair the same thing on my 86 CJ7, what I did was grind what is left flat and then center punch it and drill it out with
a drill bit that is smaller than the bolt that goes though the hole. When you have a good hole through the broken bolt take a
drift and try to collapse what is left. This procedure took me about 4hrs, but I ended up with good treads in the frame and no cheasy
hole or cutting, be patient and good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try welding a nut to what ever is left of the old bolt. The heat created will often loosen up the old rusted bolt. If you do cut the nuts off in the frame, get some 3/4" flat stock.Drill and tap it for the replacement bolt making sure the piece is long enough that it will not spin inside the frame.

Did it go together nice and easy? You did something wrong.Will have to do it again./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif
DaveC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Guys,

I was wondering this also. Are the nuts that hold the bolts for the spring hangers welded to the frame? If not, can you just snap the bolts and then pop them though? Any help??

Thanks

Kevin
New England 4x4 Club
http://206.190.221.134/cj7.htm
79 Jeep CJ7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup they are welded to the frame. I can reach the first one and I was thinking of cutting it out with a sawzall. I think I'll try CJDave's advice of welding a nut on it first.

Otherwise I'm leaning toward using one bolt and welding 2 short beads (one on each side) near where the missing bolt is.

Mark F

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not even close to being as knowledgeable as CJDave. I am just a newbie to the Jeep world but not to off-roading or modifying vehicles. I am in the beginning of a complete 82 CJ7 frame off restore and had to fix a few of these broken off bolt repairs. But thanks for the compliment.

Did it go together nice and easy? You did something wrong.Will have to do it again./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif
DaveC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I owe you DaveC and CJDave and appology for confusing who gave me the weld the nut on advice.

Thanks again DaveC I'll try that this weekend.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually, I got the best solution, I'm surprised no even mentioned it.

Screw the rear hanger, I'm going Buggy.

Thanks for the advice everyone
Mark F

1 - 11 of 11 Posts