Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eight years ago I installed Tomkens 2x4 rocker guards.
Today I decided to drive the Jeep to work.
I stepped onto the guard to get in and it snapped off. I almost killed myself.
The 2x4 is still solid but the welds have rusted away as well as the attachment arms. I almost killed myself again getting out of the Jeep at work since I step onto those to get out.

So who likes what type of rocker guard. (I am not making them myself)

G

·
And when was the last time you crawled under your jeep to inspect for things like this?

Sorry it happened and I'm glad your ok...but this does illustrate a common problem...guys slap on stuff and never look at it again...and then cuss it out when it breaks....

However, I would expect a quality product to be properly painted...but then again, you live in MA...the salt road state....you should know that it's hell on steel...that is one reason I will never buy a used car from the E Coast or Northern states......

I crawl under ALL of my vehicles at least once a month....which brings up my biggest complaint about the mini-van we just bought....I have to jack it up to get underneath....not used to that.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[ QUOTE ]
And when was the last time you crawled under your jeep to inspect for things like this?

[/ QUOTE ]
I am under that Jeep all the time looking for issues. And after every run I crawl under there.
I haven't inspected the breakage in detail yet but what I did find so far is that it appeared to rust from the inside out. The tubes that connect the 2x4s to the frame were packed with mud. There was no way for the mud or moisture to get out so it just rusted from the inside out.

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
...There was no way for the mud or moisture to get out so it just rusted from the inside out.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't surprise me... kind of like the CJ's tail frame sections.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
These are what I have. Love 'em. Beefy and have reinforcement plates inside the rig. I gave up driving my Jeep in the winter. Too much money to rust away, makes me nauseous to think about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.