Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Anyone know where i can find a breakdown of a York A/C compressor? I am looking to take mine apart to rebuild it and looking for some sketches or diagrams of some sort before i start. Anyone know of Websites? Phone #? Companies? That rebuild them? Sell Rebuild Kits? Have Diagrmas Etc... I would rather rebuild mine and have a reliable unit then go fetch another one at a Junkyard that may be on its way out as well. Any ideas??

Thanks

Kevin
New England 4x4 Club
http://206.190.221.134/cj7.htm
79 Jeep CJ7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Best idea here is don't bother since the general public can't buy parts for the things, and if it isn't knocking, change the oil and run it

Gorgeous George
Jus'luvJeep'n/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif
ASE MASTERTECH

· Registered
1,025 Posts
As long as there is oil in them, they will probably last forever. I have put many a shaft seals in them, and it takes a special tool to properly install them. Using one for on board air, you will never have to worry about a shaft seal leaking, as R-12 has much smaller molecules. The other part of them that is servicable is the reed plates. Again as long as there is the proper amount of oil in them, and nobody "slugged" it with liquid R-12, you should never have a problem. If you do remove the head and reed plates, you should use a special alignment dowell to properly align the plates. The clutch comes off quite easy. Remove the 1/2 inch headed bolt in the center, and screw in a very large bolt, I think about 9/16 coarse thread, and it will fall off in your hand. They are kind of like rebuilding a John Deere, get out the paint.

One other note, preventative maintance is the best thing. Make sure that you use a good intake air filter, I would think that an "oil bath" type air filter from an old lawn mower would probably be the best.

· Registered
1,388 Posts
What type of oil goes into the compressor? Does it go into the intake side? How much....etc? Thanks.

Ricky...seeya...
1979 CJ-7 401 T18

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.