Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up with my Bronco? The "rear anti-lock" light AND the emergency brake light are simultaneously lighting up on their own lately.

A friend of mine who drove a lot of Ford trucks on the wells said all their trucks did that; explanation unknown.

Could I be losing pressure in the line somewhere? The back of the tires and whatnot seem clean, no drops on the ground, and the brakes work okay - although I do think I have to push a bit farther down on the pedal to slow down the beast.

Anyone experience this before? I'd appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Brad

· Registered
2,016 Posts
As the Haynes manual states when the ABS light comes on it simply means the ABS computer has turned itself off due to a malfunction in the ABS system, not the brakes. They will function as normal. I have heard that the E-brake is the same light but I could not conferm this in Haynes.

Havack!

This is FORD country. On a quite night yu can hear a Chevy rust.

· Registered
397 Posts
I had the same problem on my '90.When there is a fault in the antilock system,both lights come on.If you're brakes are working you should be ok.More than likely the antilock valve between the master cylinder and the rear brakes is bad.It is located on the frame rail on the drivers side.The valve is designed to isolate the fluid supply to the rear brakes when lock up is detected.It will also open and dump the rear brake fluid pressure back to the mastercylinder to prevent lock up.It's fail mode is in the normal position,you just don't have antilock brakes.You can disconnect the electrical connection and test the switch to see if it is bad.I don't think the haynes manual lists the test procedure. I got it from a friend who has a shop.If the valve is'nt bad it could be the speed sensor in the rear diff. or the antilock ecm is bad.Hope this helps.

Billy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the same problem with an '89 F150. Check under your truck, back by the rear differential, there are two wires (one is green the other is red) that enter your pumpkin. Check these wires for damage. Mine had been torn in half and once they were replaced everything was good as new.
Good luck.

· Registered
2,062 Posts
Well before we go to the brake problem I must first say that I am sure that you're going to die!!!

Now I'm not up to speed on ABS. Ya..ya..I've been aware of it since it's wee ittybitty development in production MercBenz vehicles back in the early to mid 70's ...I'm just behind the times here.
BUT what would happen if you had a "traditional" (that is dual fluid circuit)hydraulic failure (the non-catastrophic kind)........you know that kind that turns on the light for the rest of us without ABS?
Why could it not be something as simple as that?
GeeAea

Now that I've quit smoking my doctor informs me that I'll die in much better health!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, it is reassuring to know my brakes are going to fail. I will crawl under there tomorrow armed with the above information and see what's up. Thanks, as usual.

Brad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.