Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished putting in new parking brake cables, all three. Also put new wheel cylinders and shoes. The brakes work fine, but cant seem to get the parking brake grab enough. Does it take alittle time for the shoes to seat and adjust before the p brake can be effective? Thanks Dennis

88 comanche 63 wagoneer

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
No, you'll have to get into the adjusting screw. You can do it without taking the wheels off, too -- such a deal!!

To adjust it right, you'll want the rear wheels off the ground, but guess & check works too. Read on. . .
So what you have to look for are the little rubber grommets on the inside (towards the diff) of the brake hubs. They're on the bottom, too. They might not have the grommets in them anymore, but they don't come out easy.

Pull the rubber grommets out -- there are two on each hub, but only one has to be pulled to do the trick. (there's two to make mass production cheaper -- avoiding left and right) Look inside, there should be the adjusting screw. Keep in mind the righty-tighty/lefty-loosey and tighten up on the adjustment using a screwdriver to turn the teeth.

The adjustment is about right when the wheel is able to spin freely, but with some friction to slow it down. If the wheel spins freely, you'll need to tighten the toothed screw more; if it's hard to turn, loosen the toothed adjustment screw. Do that on both sides and you'll be e-braking like the guy on the Rockford Files!!!

If I didn't have a Jeep, I wouldn't have a life.

'88 MJ SporTruck
Rebuilt 2.5L: 40 over rings, 10 on crank, 10 on bearings
nearing 400K

·
Registered
710 Posts
Also I assume you put the shoes on the corect way the small lining as the forward shoe!???

91 jeep cherokee 270000 kms deceased
93 jeep grand cherokee living 213000 kms With
92 cherokee T case drop in!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Hmmmm . . .Fred, interesting you brought that up. I got a drum and shoe kit and didn't notice a difference in size. Maybe that's why the pass. side squeals at slowing speeds.

If I didn't have a Jeep, I wouldn't have a life.

'88 MJ SporTruck
Rebuilt 2.5L: 40 over rings, 10 on crank, 10 on bearings
nearing 400K

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did mine a about a month ago and didn't notice a size difference in the new shoes, but I did in the original shoes. Huh?

MK86: THE US NAVY SENDS ITS REGARDS... FIVE INCHES AT A TIME!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the shoe also with be the same size sometimes too...but the lining can be higher or lower on the shoe itself or shorter in length compared to the other one.....short one/smaller one in front
paul

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
If the parking brake is your problem follow the cable from one wheel to the splitter and tighten up the nut on it. You need a 14mm open end wrench and a 14mm deep socket and wratchet. Only do this if there is a lot of slack in the cables though. On another note I once saw a guy do a brake job one a GM pick-up by putting both of the the short shoes on one side and the long shoes on the other. Scary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.