Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such a thing? And where would I go about looking for one? I have tried a hardware store and a couple autoparts stores to no avail. I had to cut my brake line to get a rusted wheel cylinder out. How about just a normal compression fitting for steel tubing? Will that hold up to the hydrolic pressure of the brake lines?

·
Registered
11,506 Posts
Compression fittings are unacceptable.

Do you mean a flare tool? For brake lines you need a double flare. The tube flares out to its maximum diameter, then is folded back on itself to the inside. The double thickness of steel is needed for strength. A decent parts house should have one, but a good one will be pretty expensive; I think in the area of $100.

Your best bet would be to buy tubing bender and a new piece of tubing with the ends flared already. A tubing bender will be in the $20 range. Depending on how the tube needs to be bent, you might not even need one.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I had the same problem when I replaced my rear brakes. I ended up buying brake line from the parts store then bending to fit. It came in various sizes. I have tried to double flair steal tubing with a rigid flair tool. I was not very successful. -- Mike

·
Registered
839 Posts
I bought a 10 dollar double-flair kit from Harbor Freight and it worked great. I did all the lines on my 3B in about a hour. Part of the secret is the brake line, annealed works best. Newer cars use a bubble flair.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
go to sears.. and get the the craftsman one.. its like 30-40 dollars.. and a really good kit.. can do single.. and double flares...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.