Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, blew out my left front brake hose today and NAPA, Auto Zone, Car Quest and Advance Auto all say huuuuuh????? when I ask for a '71 Jeepster Commando brake hose.

Anyone know what one of these suppliers part number is for this both the left and right hoses?

Thanks,

Brakeless in Raleigh

PaulB
Raleigh, NC
'67 Jeepster Convertible
'71 Jeepster SW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got some for a CJ 6. They are several inches longer which is good, but you must eliminate the S portion steel tube between the end of the hose and the wheel cylinder so the male and female ends match up.

Glenn

'67 Commando halfcab
Austin, TX

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
NAPA has a brake parts catlog. You can match it up by eye. Try a search under brake hoses. I posted the NAPA part #s a long time ago

John B.
Eastern Chapter Coordinator
Proud '72 "Bullnose" Driver
69,71 Commando Projects
50 Willys Jeepster

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Found it. Search is a wonderful feature.

The front Brake hoses and the rear hose that goes to block on the rear diff. have 3/8"-24 thd female fittings on each end with a slot for a hose lock clip.Take your old hose in for a match up but these p/n's and corresponding lengths should work for lifts.
NAPA P/N Length
23057 12 1/8"
36609 11 1/2
36654 11 5/8
36574 13 1/8
36575 17 15/16
36579 10 1/2
36599 12 1/2
36608 12 3/4
36614 14 7/8
38872 25 7/8
The hose clip is p/n 80742
Hope this helps. I did not list the shorter lengths. I can't find the sales slip with the p/n that I used, but it was one of these. Remember to take in your old hose for a fitting match up. The catalog is "NAPA Brake System Parts" They can look it up by the picture cross reference and get the desired length for the configuration selected.
John

John B.
69,71 Commando Projects
50 Willys Jeepster

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
3/8" fittings? I think you are wrong there, that is a HUGE line! 3/16" more like it...... It takes a 3/8" wrench though. Anything with a 3/16" female fitting on both ends will work for the front, do not get rid of that little S line, I heard on the Willys Tech sometime ago that you needed that thing for some reason. My suggestion would be just to use discs, but..... /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

John
48 CJ-2A, 49 Willys truck, 70 Jeepster Commando, 89 Wrangler, 98 4x4 Tacoma

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
If I'm wrong NAPA's catalog is wrong. Description is out their catalog,brake hoses are out of box on my '69.

John B.
69,71 Commando Projects
50 Willys Jeepster

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Well that would not suprise me one bit that Napa would be wrong, it is pretty common. I work for Napa, so I know. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Thier computer is crap, and thier books are crap too. Unless you know exactly what you want you will get the wrong thing. 3/16" fittings are what the Jeepster has, as well as most Jeeps. 3/8" line is for dump trucks and semis, not for Jeeps. If you really want to find out, go over to Napam get the same brake hose, get a pre made length of 3/16 brake line, and see if they fit together......A bottle of free dot3 brake fluid to you if they don't fit.

John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm now on my third order. The first two, one from Advance Auto, the other from CarQuest, were both wrong, only about 6" long. My blown hose is about 10". So off to NAPA as suggested above. They went through the Brake book and got one that looks close, it comes in tomorrow morning. This got me thinking that I should get the rear brake hose too since they are all looking kind of worn out. By the way they are 3/16" or M10 thread, the NAPA guy said 10 mm is the same as 3/16".

By the way, I got the original part numbers from my parts manual but the local Jeep dealer said the parts are no longer available, that's the Chrysler influence, no need to have parts before they bought Jeep. Original P/N's are, front hoses (2) 937347, rear hose (1) 994986 and a gasket for the rear hose, 637426.

PaulB
Raleigh, NC
'67 Jeepster Convertible
'71 Jeepster SW

·
Registered
419 Posts
The description says they have 3/8 thread, not 3/8 line, which is probably right.

Cheers

Mike

67 Jeepster Convertable (to restore)
68 Jeepster Convertable (for fun)
225 / Turbo 400 - both

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Just re checked NAPA catalog and Store. The fitting was correctly described as 3/8" 24 thread.
Sorry Hurc but I guess the multi billion $ international corp was right.

John B.
69,71 Commando Projects
50 Willys Jeepster

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
No they are wrong. I went through the books today. Yes, it is listed as a 3/8"x24 fitting, but it is 3/16 line, and it really is a 3/16" fitting. They list them different, Carquest lists it as a 3/16" fitting. As far as brake and pipe thread stuff goes, that fitting is 3/16, but NAPA decided to list it different. I would be interested in what book you looked in as well, I looked in the picture book, but I looked up a line for a CJ-2A because there was no listing for a Jeepster, but they had one for an MA, an MB, a GPW, a VJ, and yes, even a FC!! But no Jeepster Commando listing. Go figure, what can I say, NAPA is no good. No Auto Parts Available. I am shure you have this great understnading of how it all works for the short 5 minutes you are in there...... I thumb through those books for 10 hours a day, so I know what I am talking about. Also I have done the carquest thing too for 11 hours a day, and I can tell you that Carquest has a far superior system, and that carquest lists that hose as a 3/16" fitting. Go to a hardware store, same thing!

John

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
You can have a 3/16 line and have 3/8x24 thread or you can have 1/2 thread or Metric thread or 7/16 thread. That's why they list it like that.The fitting is measured at it's O.D. and the line is measured at the fittings I.D. Look at most master cylinders (not jeepsters) same size line but different sized fittings (front and rear)

Tom
69 Jeepster
89 Suburban 4wd
00 Expedition 4wd

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, I got the hose from NAPA this morning. It has this label on printed on the hose: "DOT-GY-02/01-1/8-HL". I presume this means the hose is a 1/8" ID. Also the fittings are definitely 3/16" straight thread. I'll put it in at lunch today but looks like a good replacement. Its NAPA P/N 36747. Overall length is about 10 3/8".

Now I'm thinking I need to replace the right side (should be the same as the left) and the rear brake hose. That means taking it out and seeing if I can find a replacement for it in their book.

PaulB
Raleigh, NC
'67 Jeepster Convertible
'71 Jeepster SW

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
I have had the best luck getting my brake lines from speed shops. I get a #3 line and adapt it to a 3/16" fitting, and they have just about what ever length I need in stock. Then it is braided stainless too, way strong. They are pretty cheap, I got 32" long lines for hurc on the front, and a 28" long line on the rear all for $60 adapted and all. Not too shabby. You could get a 3/16" line with a 3/8" fitting, but it would only work for the MC, not for your brake hoses. You cannot buy a pre made line like that either, you would have to adapt it. If you got a bigger line your brakes would not work as good, a smaller, shorter line gives you more braking feel according to the speed shops around here, they gave me that talk when i was getting the hoses for Hurc. Then I told them I had a rock crawler.....

John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Final part numbers from NAPA:

For the front, both hoses are P/N 36747.

For the rear, use P/N 38129. It helps to put a bit of gasket material between the rear brake hose and where it bolts into the axle.

Sooner or later these hoses are going to go on your Jeepster, it sure helps to have the P/N's for getting in and out of NAPA.

These are for my bone stock '71 Jeepster Commando.

PaulB
Raleigh, NC
'67 Jeepster Convertible
'71 Jeepster SW

·
Registered
660 Posts
Probably goes without saying, But... If one blew out the other can't be far off. Replacing both sides might keep one more Jeepster nut around for another rally. Good advice for anyone with original hoses: Replace them all.

Chris in Texas

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.