Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The front brakes on my 97 TJ have been squeking quite a bit lately. Tried cleaning, but the still squek. The rotors look great, but I am not sure about the pads. It is a manual, and I use the engine to break often, and am pretty light on the brakes. It only has 23k miles. My pads look to only be a couple of millimeters thick. How thick are they new, and how think should they be when replaced? I would like to do this myself, so does anybody know of any good brake pad manufacturers. Thanks in advance.
Russ

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Russ, if your pads are that thin it's time for new ones. For my truck 1/8" is minimum thickness. You may have a metal tab on your pads that drags on the disk and alerts you that it's time for a change. I have always had good luck with Wagner brake shoes, pads and other hardware. Raybestos(sp)is good to. If your gonna change them and you want some help I'll be home again in 2 weeks. Oh yeah did you figure out what kind of shocks you want yet?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah crap. I was hoping for some more optimistic info. Do you think, maybe in about two or three weeks you can come on over and help me out? I'll throw on the shocks while I'm at it too. I was thinking about the Rancho's. Let me know if you'll be around.
Russ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a metal strap that comes off the end of one pad. When it touches the rotor it couses a scraping whine noise that tells you to replace them. If the pads are good the disassemble them, take some anti sieze compound and coat the end of the piston where it touches the pad this should help. When you replace pads there is a little tube in the box that should be put on the piston to quiet squeeks, most people don't use it and this is why so many cars brakes squeel. I wouldn't be sur[rised a bit if it came from the factory with nothing on them.

Al
My web page

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm no genius, but:
Check the outer edge of the rotor. I am guilty of this. I did an emergency brake job on a sunday morning in my driveway, but no place was open to turn my rotors. So i put on the new pads without turning the rotors. Since the new pads have slightly more area than the old ones, they are squeaking a little, i think its due to the rust on the outer edge of the rotor where the old pads didnt touch. I aim to get them turned someday. Anyways, I replaced my Stoct pads with Raybestos Brutestop pads. They are outright awesome! I noticed a significant difference in pedal travel, effort, and stopping distance on my 6,000 pound Dodge. I'd recommend them, they were a little pricey, probably $60 for the front pads alone, but they have a lifetime guarantee and such, so I guess its not too bad. thats just my 2 cents.

-Mike

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Laramie SLT Sport Plus--5.9L 360, auto, 3.92s, antispin, BFG A/Ts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.