Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brakes feel hard and are not stopping very well. Is there any to tell if the power brake booster is working? I have new brakes all around but they have not been very good for a while. 79 CJ7 304
Thanks.

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
I suppose you could always disconnect the vacuum hose to the booster, plug the end and see if there
is any change. I would suggest doing this in an empty parking lot rather than on the street though. So
how does it run, could be a bad vacuum leak. Might check with a gauge before going any further.

G

·
Quick Test....pinch the vacuum hose going from the intake to the booster with a pair of needle nose plyiers....if the engine RPM drops the booster has a big vacuum leak and is not working correctly. If not, it is still possible that the booster is bad.

Let us know what you find.

John......southern CA
84CJ7,3"lift,32"BFG,4.11's,ARB,Solid Axle's

G

·
If you have (or have access to) a hand vacuum pump (ie a mightyvac) they are easy to test. Just hook up the vacuum pump to the booster and see if you can pump vacuum to about 20-25 ihg.

"My other car is a BULLDOZER"

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
One test for the booster is to pump up the brakes with the engine off, hold firm pressure on the pedal, and start the Jeep. The pedal should fall slowly. Also remember to inspect the check valve from the manifold vacuum source at the booster.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.