Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,tell me what rear this is,its factory,its under a 86 AMC Eagle,it has 3.07 gears,soa pads,has flanged axles,axles held in by four
bolts thru backing plate,shims are between backing plate and housing for adjustment i spose of end play.5 on 4 1/2 wheel bolt pattern
no name anywhere,no numbers on ring or pinion face,nothing but a cast into upper web area a 35C
outer bearings are a light press fit,they are greased with wheel bearing grease and sealed from diff.fluid.between the inner axle side
gears,over the cross pin,is a round steel piece that butts against each end of both rear axles,
The diff cover is 10 bolt,oval shape like a Dana 35,tho a 35 should be no where near a Eagle.
also cross pin is held in with a split roll pin and not a bolt. Anyone???????????????????????????
I ask cause it now has a weird "clunk" on the road heard when you hit cracks and patches,cant find any play in wheel end bearing,but sounds like
clunk is at inner end of axle at diff.Im sure its the rear doing it,just not what is doing it,I looked at outer bearing,no pits or anything
that shows wear.thats my brain teaser,finding source of noise...I just dont know how to get any parts if needed when i have no idea what
axle it is.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To absolutjeep

Hmmmmm,not to say you dont know what you are talking about by any meansll,but are you really sure? i mean beyond what the bud
says? I only ask this cause so many have told me it "cant" be a 35C(say it wasnt used) but offered no idea what it was.And i have been trying to find out
for some time now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: To absolutjeep

I am 99% sure....my buddy is a real AMC Eagle freak and he knows his stuff.....I will try and get in touch with him tonight to make sure...but I am almost positive that that is what is under there.....BUT I will try and verify

absolutjeep
http://members.tripod.com/iluvjeeps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: absolutjeep

Hey thanks man,means a lot to find out for sure.If you want,you can,or he can,email [email protected] or post here,either one.
and thanks again

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

OK Loneagle....it is a AMC 15 axle with a Dana 35c housing.....he is positive on the axle ID and everyone he has talked to says the housing is from a Dana 35c. So I guess we were both right.

absolutjeep

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

LOL oooooooooooK ,so the heck is a AMC 15? :/ would he know if any parts would fit it that are made for a D 35? like a lockrite
or axles? again,thanks for checking

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I will see what he says....but if it has a Dana 35C differential I would think that those parts would work....but then again I probably have no clue what I am talking about...I will talk to him Monday, but I think that you might have him stumped on this one.

absolutjeep

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it could be a d35 non c-clip axle. these were in the first yjs as well.

dan

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.giflet it snow/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah thats true...but from what I have read the C in Dana 35C does not stand for C clip, it stands for completed...as in the axle is shipped to the Jeep factory and completed there. A plain Dana 35 means the axle was shipped complete from Dana...but I may be wrong on that, but thats what I read.

absolutjeep

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im still following,anyway,i read C stands for custom,shipped apart and completed there.I know it isnt a c clip type,to pull axle you have to
remove 4 axle tube end bolts and slide hammer axle and bearing out,bearing stays on axle shaft.I know it would be easier to swap in
a 44 but for what i want to do with the car,a 35 would be ok if a lock of some kind would fit,and not have all the added expense of buying
a different rear.Just seems finding out if one will is next to impossible,i have written Dana and several other differential parts suppliers
and either emails were trashed,or they are scratching their heads on this one.Wrote parts Mike to,no answer yet either.My Chiltons
shows a exploded view of this axle,but says only its a AMC DUH,as if i didnt know...AB Jeep,thanks for checking with your buddy
agin too.I have been on AMC "car" message boads and no one seems to have a answer either.( I did read tho that a XJ,least up to 87
is a bolt in swap,spring width,shocks,etc.)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually my friend mentioned that the XJ is a bolt in swap and he said that one of his friends with an eagle did the swap, so you are right there. Maybe someone did bolt in an XJ axle before you purchased the eagle.

absolutjeep

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
The D35C ( which means custom,, not "c-clip") in the 86 Eagle should have the same 3rd member that the 87 YJ and XJ used. the axle splines may be different but the bearings and carrier should be the same. if the splines are diff. then take the spider gears or EZ locker or Lock Rights from the Eagle and put them in the other carrier to match the axles. If the spline count is the same You should be able to use a locker of what ever style from an XJ or YJ. Hope this helps

GP'n

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No wheelin much yet,so far just 2 inches on front springs and 2 on the rear,went from stock 195X15 tires to 225x15,was going to leave it at that,
but now that i know how easy a t case swap is,want to put in a hi/lo range one,a 207-231-229,etc. And add locrite for least a little more
traction than a open diff. I still want to go higher yet but that will be this coming summer.As the plans for a leaf spring solid axle setup in front
is just that,in the planning stage.Im limited with the IFS on height.As is money to throw away,so most of this winter will be spent working
out exactly what i want to do to avoid as many problems as necessary.When i am done i want a Light/medium offroad vehicle that can still
be a daily driver,but capable of good offroad but not a rock beast.The car is in great contition,no rust,near perfect inside ansd out,if it wasnt
would probably go to more extreames,"but as the fever progresses,who knows"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah seems to be a easy swap. Though around here seems too that they are hard to find.I did find a cheap 207 part time,been thinking
about part time as dry road capibilities arent a big concern for me,the problem is the one i found has a 21 spline input,i need a 23.Tell,me,
any of you know if a 207 type has that short stub shaft (input) ? my Eagle 128 does and if it would fit a 207-21 spline,i wouldnt have to
buy one or look any farther for a t case.My Eagle case,once you remove the main shaft,has a short shaft (female) over the front end of the
main,this short shaft is the one that engauges the transmission shaft,and protrudes thru front of case.The stub shaft is only about (as i remember)
3 or 4 inches long.I know a 207 isnt the strongest case,but behind a auto and a 258 cu in motor,and only 30 or 31 tires,and light/med use
it should be ok.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.