Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you believe that I went out today and bought another Jeep? This makes three now (but hey, this one runs /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif) It started this Wednesday when I glimpsed an ad in the paper: 'Jeep Comanche 4x4, $3000'. Thursday I went and got a paper and check it out a little more... '89 Jeep Comanche 4x4, 6-cyl, 5-speed, Reese hitch, 106k, $3000'. I didn't have anything else to do so I called and got directions to go see it. I was pretty shocked when I did! New black paint, nice chrome wheels, Dueler APT tires in good shape, nice interior. All I could think of (besides "[censored], another BA-10...") was "this is perfect for towing my little sailboat and my other Jeeps around..." So I went to the bank and applied for a $3000 signature loan. Friday I found that I got the loan, and I took it in cash since I've run out of checks...(Now that I finally have credit, I got my first loan!) I called the guy again and arranged to meet him today to test drive it and check out the engine and drivetrain. It drives great, and the AC is so cold my knuckles almost went numb! We agreed on $2500 and I bought it! The extra $500 I've got will go towards tax, tag, insurance, and tint....

Check it out!

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Nice Comanche!!!! Does this mean you will take a picture of the DJ,YJ and MJ nose to nose to nose (like in a triangle)?? /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'll just line them up end-to-end and snap a couple pictures. I have to quit buying Jeeps before I run out of room in my sig! /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif On the up side, my parents actually like this one. They say it looks to good to be mine /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif How much is the ARB snorkel kit? /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Wow, sycho!! SWEET deal. I think that anything left from the 500 bucks should go toward an AX-15. (Are you sure it's a BA?) And squeeze in a lift.

I must say, after rebuilding the four cyl., I question how much more fun I would have had with a 4.0. Right now I dream of the HO 4.0 and 5 speed. This four just seems too be getting slower by the day. But, then again, I get to see if I can make it to 500,000 on the original block. I'm getting really close to 400K. And I love it all the same.

Welcome to your love for MJ.

If I didn't have a Jeep, I wouldn't have a life.

'88 MJ SporTruck
Rebuilt 2.5L: 40 over rings, 10 on crank, 10 on bearings
nearing 400K

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually, some of the $500 went towards some sythentic oil, oil filter, cap and rotor, plugs and wires, a truck-cab organizer (hangs below the rear window with tons of pockets and a rifle sling). I still have to get a seat cover (or some towels so my mom can sew me one). The rest will go towards tax, tag, and tint. I wonder what my insurance will be... what does everybody else here pay in insurance? (I'm only 20 so I'm sure it will be up there...)

Our other car (other working car anyhow...) is an '87 Buick LeSabre with 170k on it and the interior looks almost new. My grandparents bought it new and kept towels on the seats, rarely ate or drank in it, and avoided walking through oil spots in parking lots. The seats aren't even worn! When they gave it to us the towels were thread-bare and the floormats were nasty looking. I replaced those things and it all looks great again.

The MJ already has a little wear and tear on the bench seat, so I'm just going to cover it up (if I can find a grey seat-cover that doesn't look like a horse-blanket) for now.

I will definately be driving easy on the BA-10 (I looked under there before I bought it and made sure of which tranny it had...) while saving up for an AX-15 or NV-3550. I also want to replace the NV-231 with an NV-242. I can get a 23-spline input shaft for it so it shouldn't be too hard to sell when the time comes. Also, I know of a junkyard with a stripped '91 MJ with the Metric-Ton package. It still has the suspension and axles so I'll give them an offer for those.

I'm not going to lift this truck until my Wrangler is sitting on 38s, and that will take a few years...

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Metric-Ton in a yard??? You lucky dog. I've been dreaming of finding one of those around -- or even better, a Comanche Chief. If I were you I'd already be taking off that donor. He hee!! Keep Jeepin!

'88 MJ SporTruck
nearing 400K

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ahh well, this particular 'yard is very proud of its parts. They twice quoted me $450 for the rear axle alone! Seeing as how I had front and rear D44s from an '86 Grand Wagoneer sitting on the side of my house for the YJ, which I paid $300 for total (and much, much more for gears and lockers), I didn't even bother with it. But now I've got something else to use it in...and its been a good year since I first saw it (and I know its still there), maybe I'll go back when I've got an 'extra' $500 and offer them that much for both axles and the suspension and see what they say....

At the very worst I'll go to my favorite 'yard and get the D30/35 combo out of a 4-cyl Comanche and gain some 4.10 gearing. For $150 per axle its not a bad way to do it, I can't buy gears and a install kit for that much.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
You're right about that, but it'd sure be tempting to get that Metric-ton axle if it's got a 44 in the rear. How come you don't use the waggie axles for MJ?? It might eliminate some serious cutting. Unless you're going for that wide stance -- then I understand completely!!

'88 MJ SporTruck
nearing 400K

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Eliminate some serious cutting? How does putting Comanche axles under a Comanche involve cutting, unless you mean removing them with a blue wrench (and its not a U-pull-it yard anyhow). The Waggie axles are destined for the Wrangler, which will get abused off-road while the Comanche will be babied on the street for quite some time. Besides, the Waggie axles are completely torn down at the moment, awaiting a thorough rebuild and some interesting suspension brackets....

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I guess I didn't make myself clear and wrote in a tornado. I was guessing that if you were putting the waggie axles on the YJ, that you would have to make them a little more narrow. Hence, the cutting.

I haven't measured, but I thought if you might have the urge to build up the MJ, that maybe those SJ axles would fit underneath pretty well. Sorry for the confusion, but this only porbably make it worse /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif.

'88 MJ SporTruck
nearing 400K

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To my knowledge, YJ and MJ axles are the same width. Waggie axles are only a few inches wider, and the spring perches are only an 1" further apart than on the YJ. I'll just run the Waggie axles uncut (there is no point in shortening them by about 4", as I'd have to run rims with very little offset to keep the 38x15.5" tires from rubbing during a turn.)
When I'm done making the coil and quarter suspension for the Wrangler, and put some Unimog alxes under it /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif then maybe I'll slap the Waggie axles under the MJ...
Until then, the MJ can just pull my smaller sailboat and the other Jeeps around, on their respective trailers, in stock form.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.