Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have experience with the Bosch Platinum 4's? I am considering putting them in my '95 pathfinder. Any suggestions as to other good plugs would be welcome.

Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've got a 95 too, I was all set to go and get a set of Bosch or autolite platnums. Then I read the owners manual, it cleary states that Platnum plugs are not recommended and should not be used. This is repeated (for what its worth) in the Chilton and Haynes manuals. I just replaced thw original plugs with another set of NGK's (I did the cap, rotor, and fuel filter too) and my mpg went up from 15/16 to 18/20 Well worth the time and effort in my book.

Brian Oberle
95 Pathfinder XE

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree. I had Bosch platinums im mine for i while and noticed no real improvement. I switched back to NGK and the engine just seemed to be in it's place where it belonged. NGK has got to be one of the best spark plug manufacters around.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried some Bosch platinums in my '96 4-cyl, gapped them to spec, and I noticed that under hard acceleration the engine was pinging. I guess I had about 5k miles or so on them. I swapped them out with some AC Delcos and the pinging stopped and I noticed it seemed to idle smoother. I've also had good luck with Champion "Truck" plugs. I would just stick with the good old fashioned standard electrode plug. I guess platinums have there place but I didn't have much luck with them. Also, take the distributor cap off and use a razor or sandpaper to remove the corrosion deposits that build up on the posts and rotor. Replace them if they are badly pitted.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm using the Bosch platinum's right now, not the +4's but just regular platinums and they suck!!!!!!!
Good for about the first week.

Chris J.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Remember God forgives "ROCK'S DON'T" /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It seem's most people have had the best luck with the NGK's but personally I thought they sucked too? Maybe it's just the climate where I live I don't know, but I'm still searching for that perfect plug myself.
Happy Hunting!

Chris J.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Remember God forgives "ROCK'S DON'T" /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No such thing. Just what do you want this "perfect plug" to do?

You can't go wrong with NGKs. Every mechanic I've ever come across use NGKs when doing tune-ups. Let us all know when you find this perfection.

Good choice jyles...

Metal Thrashing Mad
NFT
"...grabbing at insanity, life is your llusion."

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeahhh will do, I'll get right on that for ya!

Chris J.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts