Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of any books that cover proper re-assembly of a Dana 44 front end? Is there a manual out there that covers just that? I am swapping into a vehicle that never had a Dana 44 and I don't want to buy a service manual from the vehicle it came from. It would be nice to find one that explained how to set up the gears too.
Thanks,
Aaron

·
Registered
500 Posts
Re: Low-budget info for re-assembly of dana 44

If you are excessively cheap, you can get a free catalog from Four Wheel Drive Hardware. They have a blown-up view of the D44 and components for ordering parts. If you are moderately cheap, you can go to the nearest public library and look for a manual covering the donor vehicle in their automotive section and make a photo copy of it for a few cents. If you are just plain cheap, you may go to a dealership or large shop and request a copy of the D44 info in their service manual for a few bucks. But, if you are totally lost on how to put it back together, my advice to you is to get some professional help. If you screw it up once, you may be looking for a lot more than just a service manual on your axle!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Well I took it apart several months ago and just recently got around to putting it back together when I noticed that the pinion gear, which I so nicely placed everything on so I would know how to put back together, had been knocked over onto the floor. Ooops. I just need to find out what goes where.
Thanks,
Aaron

·
Registered
484 Posts

I would tend to agree with J.A. in that you may want professional/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif help on this one

a diff is not something to just

SLAP TOGETHER

because things like gear mesh patterns and backlash, are rather important to the long term health of your diff.

For around $8-900 parts and labor, (at least around N.H.) you won't have to deal with the pain in the ass process of setting up the diff.

jimbo

'74 CJ5,232 I6,T15,Dana 30&44

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I would agree professional help is money well spent. I have had dana 44 ring and pinion gears set for $75 at a local rear end shop near Portland Oregon. Most do-it-yourself mechanics can get the rest of the rear end re-assembled after the critical ring and pinion are set. I've seen several service manuals from Chiltons, Haynes, and Mitchell's show good pictures of parts for rear ends.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Professioanl help? $8-900? Are you nutz? My truck isn't worth that much $$. I have a $35 set of barely used gears and many more are waiting to bought if I screw them up. I have a manual on how to set up the rear end I got for free. I just need to know how it all goes together. Thanks for the tip on the 4wheel hdwr catalog. It has exactly what I need.
Thanks,
Aaron

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have the Spicer Axle manual for the 44. It covers all of the 44's both front and rear. I could scan it in and e-mail it to you, but you would need the paperport viewing software, and it is 50 pages long. I tried converting it to .bmp, but that dosn't work very good (TOO large). What parts do you need?

·
Registered
484 Posts
suit yourself/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

the $8-900 was a "ballpark" quote from a local shop for replacing everything but the axle shafts with NEW parts

if you want to use used gears-- why bother with disassaembly, just swap the whole front end

jimbo

'74 CJ5,232 I6,T15,Dana 30&44

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Go to the library, its your best choice for blow up views of your dana 44. Steve

Mopar360yj
87yj+20,74CHR.030360,SOA,35BFGATs,46RH,241DHD,
D60-44-4.10

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.