Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I flipped my YJ tub over yesterday to do some clean up to the bottom before putting it on my CJ frame, and unfortunately I found 2 body mount bolts broken and stuck in 2 of the nut plates. They are almost even with the nut plate, so there is nothing to grip to. Anyone have any idea to get them out? It will be difficult to drill since the nut plates "float" around in the channel on the bottom of the tub. And I thought i was yeady to put the tub on...

Dan 84 CJ-7,Weber,HEI. 95 ZJ,V8. http://netnow.micron.net/~wdohrn/

G

·
Welding shops can do it easy no problem. They spot weld onto the bolt then weld a nut on the stacked weld. Use a little heat and it comes right out. I wouldn't try this if you don't have any experience in this area. Thats the easiest way I can think of. Tough to get your tub to a shop but they will have them both out in under twenty minutes.

G

·
I had a problem with the channel being rusted to the point that the nut plates rotated so it was not possible to remove the bolts. The tub was on the frame by the way. I cut a rectangular hole in the floor above the plates and removed them through the hole, put in new bolts and then covered the hole in the floor with a peice of sheet metal and sheet metal screws (I put silicon around the plate to seal it). This way the can be removed at anytime. Since I have carpet in the Jeep the plates are not seen anyway.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.

· Registered
614 Posts
I had one stuck below the door hinge area. The square nut just spun inside of the channel that holds it in place. I could get to that one via a mirror and dremel extender. I didn't want to cut the body. I ground the channel off and cut the bolt close to the bottom of the body then I could push it up through. It took a LONG time and was an uncomfortable position to be in. Plus all the debris fell on my face, and it was cold out, and I was laying on broken cement.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.