Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read something a couple of months ago about making your own body lift by slicing up some boat trailer rollers. I have looked in the Marine stores in town and they only have tapered rollers. Does anyone have any info on the idea?

When in doubt, whip it out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've personally never seen anyone do it. But from my experience I don't see a problem, after all, the lifts are nothing but big rubber things anyway. And you'll probably come out much cheaper.

'79 CJ-5 258

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know how safe it is, but I couldn't find a weak spot in it. My neighbor went to walmart and bought roller blade wheels. They come in different thickness', and already have the center hole drilled, plus you can pick your color. Only cost about $25

Jon
84 Toy,72 CJ5,91 RM125
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I used them for my roll bar tie in to the frame. The local boat place normally has to order the straight ones but luckily had one that he ordered and the guy never picked it up. It was a 12" long rooler and cost me $12 plus tax.

Rick
80 CJ7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how much lift are you talking about here? 1" maybe but if you are going 3" just go buy a kit. they are under $100 and they work. body lifts get a bad name because of people makeing thier own. i'm not saying it can't be done properly but i can't see a 3" body lift made from boat trailer rollers being the safes mod.

high5
it's one ton o' fun!

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I cant see any 3" body lift being really safe.

I wonder though, do you cut down part of the poly to fit inside the hole in teh frame or does the metal spacer do that?

IM asking because I think I threw all my body mount stuff away when I seperateed my tub/frame!

I might HAVE to buy a kit, but hopefully i can make my own.

OzarkJeep

too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah yeah here we go again. people and thier idea that 3" body lifts are unsafe. have you ever seen one fail? if you have a good body they work. i have had a 3" body lift on my jeep for almost 12 years and no problems. my jeep is far from being a street jeep too. it has been layed over, rolled, beat, and bashed. the 3" body lift is still there. the unsafe ones ar the ones built from boat trailer rollers, stacked hockey pucks, etc. yeah, yeah, yeah, what do i know.

high5
it's one ton o' fun!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm with "high5"....spend the $80 or $100 on a real kit that is warrenteed agains defects and have the peace of mind that you did it right.
-Aaron

I'm sorry, you have dialed a number that has been disconected or is no longer in service. If you feel you have reached this recording in error, please check the number and try your call again.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
its obvious Hi5 you were looking for this diatribe, but tell me this.

what is the difference in a purchased 1" or 3" body lift?

OzarkJeep

too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb...

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
ouch, my head hurts this early, but Ill try to type..

is the 1" designed the same as a the 3"?

is there anything differnt about the 3", other than the fact its a taller spacer, and a longer bolt, is it designed to withstand more shear load than the 1" block?

ive only looked hard at, and installed one body lift in my life.

what Im thiniking there is no difference in the design of the 1" or 3"

so how would a homemade 3" be less safe than a homeade 1"?
assuming a 1" homemade is safe?

now see what im asking?
I dont care if you run a 3' body lift. im not trying to argue about it iM just curious if a kit has a design feature that makes it stronger thats all

OzarkJeep

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
"the unsafe ones ar the ones built from boat trailer rollers, stacked hockey pucks"

I built mine out of boat rollers, and I challenge anyone to find a flaw in them. They have held up flawlessly, even in the harshest of circumstances, and they are just as tight and even as the day I installed them. I know because I inspect them often. I am running a 2" lift, didn't want the additional hassles of the 3" (steering), and have been happy with the installation.

My rationale is that if 2 of them can support a 7,000 lb boat rocking back and forth on a trailer, being submerged in water occasionally, and left in the sun to rot, then 12 of them should support a 1,000 lb body tub.

I buy mine locally from http://www.hamiltonmarine.com and they cost $8 for 12" of the roller. They are 2.5" wide and are already pre-drilled for the hole, necked down to 3/8" with plastic spacers (which I replaced). Remove the spacer and it leaves a 1/2" hole, which is plenty. I bought all my own grade 8 hardware to go with them, and saved about 1/2 the cost of buying a store bought lift.

I am not a fan of "stacking" anything on a 4x4, and feel it's unsafe, and the hocky pucks just aren't designed to handle the constant compressive forces of a body tub, whereas the boat rollers are. The only drawbacks I have heard from the boat rollers is the material is a little harder, so they tend to beat he body mounts back into the vehicle over time. In a year of running them, I have not experienced any problems of this nature. I have them on the Zuk, and the Scrambler will be getting them, but it has 3/8" thick body mounts on the tub now, so the "beating" won't be an issue.

There is also body lift material you can get through companies (JC Whitney for one) that comes in a roll that you cut to length, but it's a lot more expensive. Still cheaper than buying one though. I'm not downing the pre-cut body lifts, they are fine, I just like to do things myself and am one cheap SOB.

JEEPN
Waldoboro, Maine (yes, we're BACK!)
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Slamurai, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Hey Jeepn thats cool info.

did you reduce the diameter of the bottom section to allow it isde the hole in teh frame outrigger?

I threw all my old mounts away, and Im wondering If Ill have to buy some steel sleeves or something, is the material hard enough , I could chuck it in a lathe and turn down the bottom to fit iside the hole?

Do you have any photos of the monts you made? that would probably clear up my question which I understanmd is very unclear!

OzarkJeep

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
I put them on top of the original body mounts, but they could be turned down on a lathe. The material feels just like a regular body lift and is certainly stout.

Here are a few pics of the lift on the Zuk. The ones on the Scrambler will go on the same way. The first pic is of one of the ones you can buy that are pre-cut to 2.5". They were more expensive at $2.99 each, so I chose to cut my own. When I cut the longer one, I didn't see the moulding line, which was where the 2 halves of the mould separated. I cut mine on the chop saw to get a nice even edge, do this only with adequate ventilation.

JEEPN
Waldoboro, Maine (yes, we're BACK!)
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Slamurai, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I used poly boat rollers (Clear yellow ones) one my CJ-5, and they are still there after 10 years. I used the black rubber ones for a few years, changed them out because they got hard and didn't flex. I only use one per mount loacation, and s/s bolts. The test came when the wife T-boned a F150 at 35mph and bent the frame, the spacers did just fine, the same ones are in it now.

Keep jeepn

Madd Mudder, Wheeling Alaska

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Hey Ozark, good luck in finding the metal sleeves that come off the factory body mounts!! All mine were too rusted to re-use when I did my body swap. I called all over trying to locate some of those, most people didn't even know what I was talking about (even dealers). So I ended up going the boat roller route. No complaints here, but it's only been a year.

.... and a side note: It seems like the straight roller is the hard one to find. Luckily, I'm on the coast and marine supply stores are on every corner. And I don't know who told me about the chopsaw to cut them, (maybe JEEPN') but BOY is that a timesaver!! Cuts right through them, and they are the same size, driver's side and passenger side!!

DREW
IN2DEEP 78 CJ5

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
so you put it together with no metal sleeve?

in a sever side load wouldnt the bolt cut the poly? or is it alot harder than that?

I found 2 of my old mounts in the boxes,bags, and piles of my Jeeps parts.

the metal sleeves are pretty rusty I was thinking about using some small metal conduit inside the poly.

I need to make the complete ount from poly, not a spacer to stack onto the factory mount, I guess Ill cut down the bottom to go thru the hole in teh frame, sleeve them with conduit, and use an enlarged hole pices thru the bottom.

damn this is starting to sound like a lot of work
I need to do some checking and see how complete the body lift kits are.

OzarkJeep

1 - 18 of 18 Posts