Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been liking the idea of changing the HIGH/LOW/OFF wiper to the intermittent effect switch.
Does anyone have a clue if the circuit that operates this is in the switch knob? I know it would be a simple little RC circuit that just changes resistance to speed up or slow down.

I'm going to the yard Sat. morning and was hoping someone had some insight. I was just turning right the other day when the thing when limp. I had cracked right at the base of the switch in the column. Oh boy, time to get the wheel-puller!!

I know cruise comes with the intermittent wipers. I don't plan to hook it up -- I know how to drive.

'88 MJ SporTruck
365K on 2.5L (Energizer Bunny Package)

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hey Chris,
Interesting question. It can both fun and frustrating trying retrofit parts. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif.

I can't answer your question directly, but I can say that (at least on my 94 XJ) the indicator is solely a rod that inserts into the column. The only thing the rod could functionally do is ground. Point being I don't belive circuits are contained within the directional itself. I suspect it is in the wiper solenoid etc.

Hope this helps,
Kent

94 XJ (purchased July 00)
Skids, XD9000I, Lights, Bumpers, CB/Ham, Roof Racks, ARB compressor, Duo-Optima's, 200 amp alt, and too much more to list!
These trucks rock!

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
My 1986 2.8 XJ Pioneer has interrmittant wipers without cruise control. So they are out there. Also, the later models schematics are in the Haynes repair manual/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Wow! No cruise and intermittent! I'll have to search. i haven't gotten to the yard yet. School exams week and a lot of working. Grrrrrr.

I will see how many different years/styles I can pick up and see what I can come up with. expect a post next weekend.

'88 MJ SporTruck

G

·
Hey Chris my 86 MJ has inter wipers with out cruise. Look for a black box under the driver side dash it is the control box how it is wired in I am sure you can figure out but it may be hard to find. good luck

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Hmmmm....My guess is that "First generation" XJ Cherokees/Comanches would have the int. wipers without cruise where the first generation XJ Wagoneers, being the top o' the line, would have cruise and intermitent.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
My 89 had intermitant w/o cruise as well. I think your best bet would be any rigs that are stick shift as none of the XJ/MJ's I've ever seen with a stick had cruise.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good call, guys. I'm just thrown off by the factory MJ shop manual which lists it. Maybe the '86 MJs had cruise since that was their introductory year and they wanted them to be all badass. They sure loaded some of the 86s up well, if they followed through with the advertisements.

My mom's '96 XJ, however, has stick-and-cruise.

'88 MJ SporTruck

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
People have been saying the switch goes bad, buick -- do a search it was covered recently. If you get your mitts on a factory manual you can diagnose it to get it working if you so desire,

'88 MJ SporTruck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts