Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this problem ever since I bought my Jeep. It's a used 2000 TJ and I've had it a couple of years. The problem is that when I press the brake pedal with my left blinker on, the blinker "sticks" on. That is, instead of blinking, it remains fully on. If I release the brake pedal, the blinker starts blinking again. Then if I press the brake, the blinker sticks on again. My right blinker functions properly...the problem is only with my left blinker. Any ideas? Now that I'm on break from college for awhile, I'd like to get this fixed before I have to go back.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try the basics first if you have not already. Swap the left and right bulbs to make sure they are not the culprit. Also while you have the bulbs out make sure nothing is crossing the contacts inside the housing. If you have a buddy with a Jeep try swapping the flasher and see if that fixes the problem, or spend a couple bucks at the parts store for a new one. If those don't work try following the wires to see if some how they are crossed. Good luck, electrical problems can be a pain!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i own a 98 tj and have the same problem every once in a while the left blinker does turn on when i hit the brakes sometimes its not the bulbs dont go there after making a left turn push up on the lever a little bit it gets annoying after a while but you dont have to pay any money for the fix its more of an inconveince than anything else

DAMN STICKY LEVERS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
check the bulbs to make sure that they aren't fried, and then the whole light assembly to make sure that none of the wires or anything are fried, I had the same problem with my YJ when I first got it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a similar problem with the used 2000 TJ I recently bought. Everything worked fine during the test drive, but when I left the dealer's lot the turnsignals stopped working. I tried the emeergency flashers and they were not working either. That pointed to one thing the flasher unit. I stopped and picked up a typical flasher relay. The next day I discovered the 2000 TJ does not use the typical flasher. It has a relay mounted on the right of the steering column. You have to removes the knee plate to access the relay. Once I found the location I tried to buy a replacement, it is a dealer only item around this part of the country. The dealer was out of stock. that led me to believe the relay seldom fails. I pulled it out and shook it around trying to see how to open the can so I could try to clean the relay contacts. I did not get it open so I reinstalled the relay and tried the turn signals again. Much to my surprise they began working, intermittently at first but soon they worked normally.

Based on the descritption of your problem I suspect a sticking set of contacts in the flasher relay. Try removing the relay and tapping it lightly to dislodge any sticking components. Its worth a try and doesn't cost anything but a little time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.