Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a CJ5 with 3.73's a mildly built 360, t150 and D20. Currently I'm running 31's, but with added lift I'd like to move up to at least 33's. I don't think I can run 35's, but will 33's be too bad with my gearing? 95% of my driving is 45 mph and under. Rarely does it see a highway. I really like the gearing I have now but am hoping that the 360 will make up for any real power differences. Opinions? Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's my experience. I'm running 33's on my 74 CJ5, looks to have an old 1 inch body lift on it. No significant rubbing. Have 3.73's in the back with a 258 I6. Power is completely adequate back there. I have no problems traveling on the highway (although I never do). No acceleration problems, no braking problems, etc. etc.

I bought the Jeep like this and haven't changed it, but haven't noticed it to lack power or strain anything at all. If I do, I'll change it then, but so far everything runs wonderfully.

Some of the more mechanically oriented guys might have more to say about it though.

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5
If a Jeep can't take you there, Think twice about going..

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
With the available HP you have you probably wont notice a lack of power to the wheels, especialy in low range. 3.73 gears arent that bad for off road,but the problem you can run into as you go to larger tires,is the strain that is put on the rest of your drive train. One problem experienced by the YJ crowd, is the 3.07 gears that come stock with 4.0 HO motors. Although that motor has more than enough power to turn even 35" wheels with those gears, the failure rate at the rear pinion yoke and the rear axles is very high,(especialy when lunch box lockers are thrown into the mix). A lot of build ups dont consider the ratio change that important because it seems to work,untill the breakdowns start to happen every time out(the YJ D35 rear axle is also very weak which doesnt make for a good combo). In short your set up should perform fine, but would be optimized by 4.56 gears in the future.
Jeff
89 Wrangler

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
that set up should work well.. i ran 33's with mine and was great, even 35's but i was running a t-5. i thought the 35's were better.. with 5th gear.

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
With a V-8s power I seriously doubt you'll notice the difference. Someone said 4.56 gears would be ideal. For the trail, yes, but for a street/trail rig I'd go with 4.10s SO LONG AS YOU DONT INTEND TO GO TO A BIGGER TIRE LATER! If you plan on running 35s in the not too distant future with the same axles, 4.56 gears would work great.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
I ran 33" TSL's with my 3.73's, SR-4, and GM151 (see pic). I couldn't maintain above 50 on the road, but power was my problem. It's not really used on the road anyway, only about 10%. Go for it. The axles should hold up, my original 2-piece didn't, but you should have the D44 in the rear. Look into a steering box brace, I ripped the mounts apart to mine due to the larger tires and heavy wheeling.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.