Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif I had ONE truck (a '70 GMC Gasser Two-ton)with the small-input five speed transmission. It came with a four speed, and I had to look EVERYWHERE to find that five with the teeny input shaft. THAT BOX would have fit yer Jeep same as a 465 tranny. One problem.....it was a Non-Synchromesh tranny, so if you are used to slopping your way through the gears, well....it isn't fer you/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gifheh heh...when I got the tranny installed one of my workers hopped in it and drove down the road and back. He came back all distraught: "Boss!" he exclaimed, ""This transmission won't hardly shift....it grinds and grinds before it goes in! What's wrong with it Boss? Is it no good??" I told him to grab right seat and away we went. I used the clutch to start off and went through all five no clutch. It shifted perfect, but it was a MAN's transmission, not fer high skool kids/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

· Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif In my search for that small-input five-speed I called everybody out here on the Jest Coast. Lehr Bros....Frank Steuber...all of them. Altogether they had over 3000 boxes in stock, and did not have that one. Then one Saturday I was over at my yard doing something to one of the rigs and in drove a Junk Man. I'm negotiating with him about the brass and copper, and I'm leaning on his pickup and what do I see in the back but a small-input five. There was also a BIG input(std) five there that was broken. I asked him what they were and he lamented:"OH Man.....I needed a tranny for my big junk hauler and I found this one but it won't fit!" I could hardly believe it. Fifteen minutes later he had the copper and brass....I had a small-input five-speed tranny for my service truck! Wierd, huh?/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Look for two-ton chevy and jimmy trucks, they used that box in the gassers.....those that were five speeds./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

· Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Er...Doug....my little over-the-road moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gifkeeps mumbling something like: "Up to 2000....back off 200....clutch to neutral.....clutch out and back off 200....find the gate......up to 2000...back off to..." What's up with that? He began doing that just after he read your post?????/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

· Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif Yeah, my little over-the-road moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif is really out in dreamland, thinking about his 1947 Autocar Dieselcar with a 165 Cummins in it. I ALWAYS clutched into the middle to play it safe, then let back out and go over to the gate and wait. With the old straight-tooth brownies it was real easy to hang a tooth comin' out, so the guy who taught me was adamant about clutching out but not in, and it always made sense to me. When the linklage to the auxillary was real worn, you could pop out the side of a shift rail real easy if you got too sloppy. Later on, when we had some 13 speeds, the BIG PROBLEM was drivers PRE-selecting/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif...it wore out the shifter forks. It was as if they selected...looked at ten pretty girls...then picked up their foot to shift/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif I really got on their asses about that, but who can tell a driver anything/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gifYour right about gassers being real quick up and down, and that's why he would need a good tach.....where he uses the whole dial....so he can get it right. I broke a fulcrum pin in my 350 GMC 3/4 ton and drove it clutchless for two weeks, starting it in gear in a downtown intersection. It had a 465 four speed. I had no problem shifting it....the synchros were worn out too(which makes it easier actually, when shifting without the clutch.

CJDave

· Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif One of my neighbors had about thirty trucks, all gassers. One day a driver scattered a fairly low-hours engine all over the road. "What RPM were you running this thing?" asked the boss. "I dunno." said the driver. "I just hold the pedal down till it quits gaining RPM and then I shift."/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif there are stories....and stories....and stories....like my buddy Pat who drove cattle trucks all over the western states for a VERY fly-by-nite outfit. He got this co-driver the boss hired five minutes before Pat was leaving on a four-state run, and the guys says: "I'm tired....can I sleep first?" so he went into the sleeper. Hours later in the middle of the Nevada desert nine o'clock at nite Pat wakes him up to drive. The guy crawls out and Pat goes to crawl in only to discover that the guy had number two'd the bed! Pat threw HIM....AND the sheets and blankets out onto the hiway and drove the run solo. And that was just ONE story from the continuing saga of V----- Livestock transportation/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

· Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif You haven't arrived till you can make a corner, do a double-box gear change and hold a just-bought cuppa coffee/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Is it any wonder that the insurance companies said: "Yeah! Go get it!" When the first single-stick married combination tranny came out.....I cannot for the life of me remember the name of piece of junk, but they made a crapload of them. The case was SO LONG in those boxes that it actually used to get a twist in it from constant torque, and then the bearings would fail. I was in a used truck parts yard once and a guy came in lookin' for one of those and the counterman's response was: "WHY"/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif We had a 5 X 4 in our low bed and boy, could it ever twist a driveline easy/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gifif you weren't careful.

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

· Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif Heh heh....Bob that's good....heh heh....that's REAL good/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif. Farmjeep....I cannot TELL you how many times I have threatened to do that VERY thing. I really hate it when drivers overcorrect and scub off all that rubber backin' in./wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif

CJDave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.