Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Well...if you want to get that axle moved back a bit for a better angle and longer wheel-base you COULD buy the 1/4 ellipitical rear kit from Avalanche Engineering and let them know what you are doing...they should be able to set things up. I just got off the phone for them and they said it would be no problem at all to move all the mounts rearward to stick the tires on my Jeep back enough that they would JUST petrude past my bumper...whala a <180 degree departure angle! Only one confusion...in Petersen's 4Wheel&off-road it said that this setup boasted greater than 30" of TRAVEL per axle...but when I called Avalanche and asked about this I got the impression they meant articuation, not travel. The Warn kit boats 10" travel in the rear and 12" travel in the front, for "a full 40 of articulation" So which is better? I'm assuming this means that my rear axle will allow for 30" of articulation, witch is already 3/4 of the Warn kit. Going SOA on the front axle with some spring mods would make those figures go sky-high...all for about the same PRICE as the Warm kit, but without the complication of having someone install it for you (another $2k I've heard.) So...blessed be the leaf springs, those simple, amazing, durable things that amaze us so...and somehow come out on top against coils.

So to sum it all up- If I did the 1/4 in the rear and moved it way back, and did an SOA in front with a few extra goodies like Revolvers...I'd have a tall Jeep on 35s with MASSIVE flex out the whazoo and no problem with driveline angles...? Is this too good to be true? I'll ket you know when I get the $1295 for the Avalanche kit!

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Doesn't anyone make THICKER driveshafts, or are there too much balancing problems associated with these? Its not like a Jeep's driveshaft is all that long. What about using some sort of alloy, or somehow using kevlar to reinforce them?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.