Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of gathering parts for a SAS on my '96 GMC. I am undecided on a few things yet, one is tires. I am planning on running 38's, probably an Interco tire just not sure what one. Is there really a big difference in ride quality between a Bias ply and a radial. Right now I have 35" radials that don't ride too bad, but I had a hard time getting the balanced and even keeping them in balance. Somebody told me they actually have a hard time making radials truly round!? As far as off-road use I live in Michigan so not much rocks but some mud, sand, and hills to climb. I wouldn't consider the truck a daily driver but I would use it to haul a jet-ski trailer and drive to work a few time a week(18 miles one way). What do you guys recommend??

Any info and advice is appreciated!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey Jason, what is the width of your 39.5s? I am think of 39.5s when my 35s go out and get a 60 front. I will go 15" though.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that is what I would want a somewaht skinny tire, mostly for clearance issues of big tires and low lift kinda. I thik I will get 15x10 steel wheels with 3.5" backspacing to clear the 60 when I get it.... hopefully in Sept!!!!

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
I ran bias hawgs for years. It is livable. BUT................
Now I have radial BGF M/T's and man is it nice on the street. I was going to put a caddy emblem on the hood it was so drastic of a change. I forgot how good it could ride and drive.(on the street)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
if you thought you had balance problems with your 35" radials, your gonna go nuts when you try to balance a 38" bias. i said screw it, i dont run weights on my trucks, and i dont run the balancing powder either becuase i break beads constantly, and i dont want to worry baout that crap turing into go when it gets mixed with sand or mud.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info. I think I will go with a radial, I don't want it to ride like a lumber truck. Anyone know of a good 38" radial?? How are the TSL radials??

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
the bias plies won't make it ride like a lumber truck. they will make it ride like a pogo stick(one at ach corner actually).

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
that would be correct. but the bias plies only bounce around for the first couple miles. them they warm up and get back to round again. If you can live with the slight bounce for a few winutes go forthe bias. a little stronger for off road i do believe.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have had 31x10.5 super swamper radials and 30x11.5 sx bias ply tires the closest we could balance the radials was still off by 3 ounces at best. the bias ply tires were balanced to almost 0. i do have a slight vibration on cold mornings but it goes away after a few miles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.