Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a buddy of mine has a 97 TJ and i've got my 95 YJ and we were woundering over the whole idea of offroading which susupension from the factory is better?
thanks
i hope this doesn't start a war!

(\/)ikey 1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd Manual

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Simple.... the TJ. I own both a coil sprung and leaf sprung jeep.... no comparison.

LarryM
'85 CJ7, 350TBI, T19
'00 TJ, 4.0, NV3550, D44

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It isn't a contest. TJ!!!
That being said there are other things you need to consider too.
Drive a brand new stock TJ or YJ off the show room floor. Same engine, axles and tranny. The TJ rides better and handles better. Go off road and do NOTHING else to either veh. Don't even lower the air pressure. Again TJ wins but the difference is not as much as the difference as the ride on the highway.
Now spend a SMALL amount of money. $100 or less for sway bar disconnects for the front axle on each veh. The TJ really starts to shine now, leaving the YJ further behind.
With just that small investment the TJ becomes a real off road contender.
At this point we are really running well so it's time to improve the safety of the veh's. Full roll cage. Oops. The YJ bolts right in. The TJ??? Send it out to a custom fabricator to remove that abomination of a dash board, then proceed.
And so it goes. Good points and bad on each veh. The YJ or CJ can be made into formidable off roaders. The TJ has a leg up from the beginning, but has other drawbacks if all you want is the best off roader. The leaf springers can catch up with the coils articulation wise, but when they do, some of the highway manners ususally suffer a little.
Total cash outlay???
Take new TJ money and put that amount in a good used YJ AND modifications, and chances are the YJ will out perform the TJ on the trail.
Lots of ways to answer your question.

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting points, Doug. When I bought my YJ new (it was MY first and only new car - now I buy cars "in tandem"), I didn't know the difference between a CJ and a YJ. 5+ years later, I'm well versed in the diffs. Looking back, there was a car lot that had an 85 CJ, red, hard-top, V8 (maybe my memory is making it better than it really was...), clean, clean, CA clean for 6K. Theoreticaly, the YJ is more capable than a stock CJ off the showroom floor, and I made the right decision.... but OHHH if I had that V8... I wouldn't have paid for the puppy for 5 years, either... Imagine what I'd have now!

So, while the YJ is getting to be a capable trail machine (not rock crawler!), I needed a commuter car too. You get both in a TJ. A YJ doesn't have that plush ride, and my back still hurts after driving for 8 hours. I'm just glad I have my dash, and no AIRBAGS! /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif (had to get in one dig!)

Jon-YJ94
a work in progress
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, there is no mistaking that a TJ is still a jeep. Still bouncy, still noisy, still uncomfortable to drive for long distances.... just less of each.

For pure offroad (non stock) give me leaf springs though... just so much more articulation you can get out of them.

LarryM
'85 CJ7, 350TBI, T19
'00 TJ, 4.0, NV3550, D44

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.