Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

I did an engine swap and now I've ran to a really big problem the stock cooler is not going to work! well not that great anyways.
What I was wondering is if theres any aftermarket sammy radiator or something near its size with better cooling?
I've tryed to find some at the local pick n pull but there all to big to fit up front and Im not going to to stick it in the back!

Im willing to do some hacking.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
What is it your trying to cool? 1.3? 1.6? diesel? V8? There are options.

What is the condition of your rad? Sometimes just a new one, or getting yours rodded out will
do the trick. You live in Redding so I assume you know the inportance of the correct mix of coolant.
You can also try water wetter, by redline. It does work.

3 core aftermarket, I think its petro that sells one.

The VW diesel guys like one of the bigger diesel VW rads, but it takes some mods to install it.
The small one isn't worth the effort in my opinion.

·
Registered
543 Posts
What did you swap in? Did you keep the fan shroud? What temp thermostat do you have in there? Under what conditions does it over heat? How hot does it get? Have you tried and auxillary gauge to be sure it is really overheating?

The fan shroud really helps cooling. You can get three-core radiators from Trailtough, Petroworks, or have yours recored locally. A buddy of mine did that and had the shop add a baffle in the top tank to make it cross-flow. It cools very well now. An electric fan may help too. Too low a temp thermostat can severly limit cooling capacity too.

I added the gauge question because I really thought that mine was "overheating" and couldn't get the stock gauge back to '9 oclock' like I wanted it. What I found after adding an aftermarket temp gauge that instead of running at 185* where the thermostat starts to open, it was running at 195* where the thermostat is fully open. That isn't too hot so I left it alone (after adding a 3-core radiator and several new thermostats: Sometimes I am a little slow
).

·
Registered
323 Posts
Does nobody read the signatures? States right there what the swap was.....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its a diesel engine and where I live in cali it gets well above 100f in the summer.

I have not had any cooler in it yet, the stock sammy cooler looks to small and anything else is too big.

those 3-core coolers from TT look good but do you guys think they would beable to cool a 2.4l diesel?

anyone know what the biggest engine is they can cool?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I'd look at what Mercedes used size wise and make sure yoyu have at least the same or more
square inches of cooling area, and at least as many cores sized the same or larger. Put that
expesive enineering Mercedes did to use. I'm certain you would be OK with that.

Now to get there you may need to have a rad shop custom build you a rad. if you can't
contain the samr square inches of cooling area, you ma yneed to go to a 3 or 4 core rad.

And no, casper, I guess I don't read sig's much, mostly there full of drivel and I guess I am
tuning them out like popups!

In any case, even Had I noticed, why would I assume its the same rig? My sig has 3 rigs listed.

·
Registered
889 Posts
1965 Ford Mustang 4.7L V8 rad. That rad is able to handle the V8 with all accessories and AC. I am, and others have as well, using it to cool my 4.3L so I'm sure it'll keep yours cool too. Drop in a bottle of Water Wetter as well, and you're set. The rads are cheap and available just about anywhere.
Go to www.transpro.com if you want exact specs of the rad. It fits between the frame rails no problem.

I just saved you the trouble of searching through the Transpro site and have the link here.
http://webbase.transpro.com/catalog.php?partnum=433259

Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Damn that ford ratiator looks like it would work very well for what Im doing.

thanks a lot guys the info was much needed.
maybe now my sammy will be on the path to 4x4 within this year :p

·
Registered
543 Posts
By the way, your rig sounds cool
The diesel and auto are a great combo. I'd like to see that thing in action.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
would post some pics of I had a digi cam, I will be at the rubicon all week before july 4th maybe I might see some of you.
My zuk will be easy to tell, its white, pumps out smoke, makes a lot of noise and will have a huge hood scoop

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.