Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a replacement windshield frame, mine is rusting out on the bottom. Who makes good ones?

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
There's a bunch of aftermarket re-sellers out there, Raybuck, JCWhitney, Quadratec, 4Wheel Drive Hardware, and a host of others... as to who's best is a good question. It depends upon what you value, price, quality, fit, finish, welds, seam construction, metal thickness and a host of other qualities of the frame. If you're not partictular any of the aftermarket frame will do, if you are partictular best look before you buy. Don't forget the grandaddy of all the aftermarket stuff... WilliysOverland... OEM quality...

I'd like to suggest that you qualify your question a little more. Me, I buy cheap... expense is a priority... to you it may not be. I think the frame I buy is quality while you may think it's junk. Get my drift? Good Hunting!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, let me rephase that. What are the problems associated with using a 4wd hardware fiberglass compared to a 4wd hardware steel replacement windshield frame. What work do I have to do to install it, how much flex is there in running the windshield wipers (will they bind up on either), and is there leaking problems with any of those two options?

Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not an answer, but a related question; Are the aftermarket Wrangler frames any good? Ive had bad luck with "crash" parts in the past. The sheet metal is thinner and seems to rust faster.

Holy sh*t thats a long way down!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I bought a 4WD Hardware steel frame. It seems to be of very high quality, oem thickness of steel, arrived with no dents/bends, and it comes in a nice black fatory "e-coat" type finish. I scuffed it with a scotch brite pad, wiped it down with some wax/silicone remover and painted it. I've been told to stay away from 'glass w/s frames 'cause they lack ANY sort of strength...and with the windshiels itself being perfectly flat, it has no strength either. I would only consider a 'glass frame if you are going to run a hardtop all the time (to keep it in place). Otherwise, go with steel. My original lasted almost 20 years, and if I have to spend another $140 on a new one in 20 years, that's fine with me.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo,It's Orange! Now I just have to put it all back together.

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
I have the 4WDH steel frame and it's been good... 6 years and no rust in these Winnesota Winters. The windshield is stiff an does not bow or bind the wipers.

As for the fiberglass.... someday I'll buy one to try it out. There is flex at highway speeds, espically with a soft top on. There have been no reports of bind on the wipers. I've got a full roll cage so I'm planning on instlling three rubber bumpers for the windshield to rest against and keep flex to a minimum. That said, remember to keep the mounting bolts full of anti-seize compound... it's hard to heat the bolt to free it from a nut imbeded in the fiberglass.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got my new window frame from Raybuck. It was the least expensive i could find $99 i think. I haven't had it on the Jeep yet but it seems really sturdy and it has been dipped in E-coat. Just my $.02 worth

Kyle

If you can't break it, Try Harder/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
79 CJ-7/304/T-150 I think/Dana20/No tires(yet)/rust/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Last time I looked (maybe a month ago?) Willys-Overland had the good replacement units with the reinforcement ridge across the wiper area for $129.00
Planning to order one myself in the next few weeks as my original is getting pretty bad and probably won't survive another winter. I wouldn't go with fiberglass unless you always plan to run your hard top...I got that tidbit straight from a tech guy at 4WD Hardware a while back. BTW: Your Jeep is lookin' pretty funny with those little tires on it /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts