Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was lucky enough to recieve a free Optima battery and I now wish to place it in my jeep with my other not so old battery. I want to still use my original tray. My question is how can i extend my battery tray or make it into one tht hold two batteries? And what is the best way to hook them up. I do not have a winch, but now i can get one. :) THe tray is original for my 1963 jeep.
Thanks for any help.
Dan Stewart
1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeeper" Member

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Optima says that you can mount their batteries up-side down...Why no clamp it to the bottom of your current tray and test their claim, save space (and your jack mount) and have a really trick looking batter system?

G

·
must be nice getting as free battery, especially an optima. anyways, just a word of caution in that you may want to check your other battery for its ability to keep up with the optima. i have heard that if you are going to run two batteries that they should be of equal size and outputs. you will wear your old battery down faster and will not get the full benefit of the new optima. why not go buy another optima and try a whole new mount, as opposed to trying to incorporate the old one into it. just don't want to see anyone ruin a battery if at all possible. check into it. happy jeepn. mudncj

G

·
Try getting another battery tray and see what it looks like next to the original one, and possibly weld the two together, that way you'd only need to drop 1 support bracket down to the inner fender and you would still have the battery hold downs on both trays. Steve

Mopar360yj
87yj+20,74CHR.030360,SOA,35BFGATs,46RH,241DHD,
D60-44-4.10

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.